• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel and Oil Hose

JayH

NE Iowa
Morning folks,

I've been search functioning and reading posts for a couple days on everything related to fuel and oil lines. Nothing really definitive, or etched in stone.

What is everyone using for flexible fuel hose and oil hose? Aeroquip 303 seemed to stand out, but curious what the latest is. What have you guys had the best luck with, in both flexible fuel and oil lines?

Thanks,
Jay

Is that the aeroquip 666 hose Marty? Looks like the 666 is " medium pressure Teflon hose" in Spruce.

still use the normal stuff, mill 6000 with hose clamps where appropriate, and the aeroquip that originally was used for the screw on style ones...

If you are using mil 6000 hose for fuel lines make sure you use the right hose. Mil-H 6000 is rated for fuel, the Mil-DTL 6000 that Aircraft Spruce sells is not fuel rated.

The fuel line I have looks like the one at the top.
fuel%20line.png

I used Aeroquip 306 hose to connect fuel tanks, sight gauges and valve to aluminum fuel lines. This hose is sold for instrument vacuum so its use as a fuel line is not an obvious choice. However, this hose meets Mil-DTL-5593E (dated Oct 23, 2006) requirements which has tougher swelling requirements in exposure to alcohol and other substances than does Mil-DTL-6000C (dated Dec 10, 1998), This spec superceded Mil-H-6000B (dated Mar 22, 1982).
To get approval for using this hose, I first talked to the EAA technical rep at EAA headquarters who recommended 306 and not 6000. Then I called Aeroquip on Aug 31, 2007 and got the following email in reply.
I recommend 306 because the rubber is superior to 6000 for this application and because the wall is thinner, easier to bend into tight areas and yet is resistent to kinking.
I use a Parker beading tool to prepare the aluminum tubing for the hose and clamp.

Darrel,
Confirming our conversation of this morning.
We have no objection to the use of 306 hose in the fuel system.
It uses the same rubber compound as 303 hose and should be compatible.

Best Regards,

Mike Pec
Technical Support Coordinator
Hose Products
Eaton Aerospace
300 S. East Ave.
Jackson, Michigan 49203-1972
Tele: 517-789-2780 517-789-2780
Fax: 517-789-2675
mikeapec@eaton.com

I don't think it matters what you use to join rigid fuel lines together because the gap between the rigid line is very small and any swelling of the hose is not likely to restrict the flow, the gascolator hose is the weakest link in the whole system and if it swells shut your not going to be happy, the one on my Pa11 that was only a few years old closed down to about 1/8" dia and I was lucky that I found it during maintance, a few years back in the Cub Club I think was an article on H6000 hose and it wanted you to buy it ahead of time and store it in some fuel for a couple months to see what it did but to me the 666 Teflon hose is very cheap insurance, Yes it was on E free mogas that I had the problem but with the Teflon hose you can run anything without worrying about the hose. my .002

Glenn

Back