• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

90 Year Old WASP bio - very interesting!

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
g113000920b7eb62f186f00a0cb514fca271798e48e935e.jpg

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x1444028483/Natick-native-served-as-a-WASP-in-World-War-II

good article on a well deserving lady that stepped up and did more than her part when this country needed it most. today we don't have wasps anymore just a lot of bridezillas
gary

Wasp/Night Witches

I checked out a book about the Wasp's. She mentioned that they were not hero's, but thats not true. It took alot of guts to get those planes were they were needed. Alot of the Wasp's died trying to get them there as well. They had to get a donation fund between them so that when one of the girls got killed, they could send the body back to the U.S.A the government would only pay for the men to be flown back. Another good book about the" Night Witches". A name given by the German soldiers to the Russian girl pilots who actually flew in combat mostly at night. Check it out its a good story. Imagine, working at 20 below at night on a hot airplane engine. They said sometimes with heavy gloves on they could not get a nut started on a threaded stud. They figured out if they took off there glove and licked the tip of there finger and put the nut on it that the nut froze and they could reach into the engine to get it started on the threads. There is some great storys out there.

Bill

Momma CD knew a buncha' them gals too. She was in WASP training when they killed the program. Told me she was pretty bummed about it. :(

She got her licks in though. Flew anti- U-boat patrol offa' the upper eastern seaboard as part of the original Civil(ian) Air Patrol.

garyh said it right. They just don't cut women from that kinda' cloth anymore it seems. :cheers The WASPs and their contributions were overlooked for decades. Too little, to late for them as far as I'm concerned.

CloudDancer :anon

Back