• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lghtspeed Electronic Ignition

snowyriver

Alaska
Was considering EI on my new engine. Seems I could drop some weight and improve performance by going with this ignition. Anyone have experience with it? This will be a 0320, 340, or 360. Thanks.

Check out this thread
http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=18067&highlight=lightspeed+ingnition

Here is one reply
My Redneck 1 Cub runs dual lightspeed plasma 2 systems with back up battery 3lbs batt fuel burn is 6.8 gph @ 2550 1500ft msl starting is 1/2 blade or instant start hand proping is.easy it starts @ 0 degrees TDC I carry a 1/2 amp solar batt charger when in back country I hook it up will charge batt in four hrs I have 36 gal fuel the plane will run 4 hrs on back up battery oh my engine is a stroker 377 cubic inch

I ran a lightspeed on my 0-200 for about 3 years and it really helped the performance. Had problems with the sensor and have not put it back on yet.
They work great.

Con:

Might not be on your plane when leaving the derby next summer :lol: :lol:

But my engine will run well :wink:

So, safety wire won't be enough "security"?

You have the damndest way of making something sound tempting! :)

I had it on my experimental maule (bushwacker), I think it runs smoother with it, starts easier, maybe a little more power.

I started having problems with it not working intermittently so I took it off with the intention of sending it all back to have it benched checked since I could not find a problem on the airplane. I have not done that yet but once I do I probably will not put it back on, it will end up for sale. It is just not worth the headache of not being able to fix it easily like you can a magneto.

Greg

snowyriver said:
Was considering EI on my new engine. Seems I could drop some weight and improve performance by going with this ignition. Anyone have experience with it? This will be a 0320, 340, or 360. Thanks.

Here's a link to a CAFE report, midway down the page see: "Ignition Dynamics I,II,III". Seems like a fairly comprehensive, unbiased, look at the differences.

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/research_reports.php

Other than improved starting, idle and possibly reliability(IMO to soon to conclude anything) , you don't realize any significant gains in performance unless you intend to run at very low power, LOP or at high altitude, or any combination of the three. With the most gains coming from very low power and LOP while in the "teens". Not exactly your typical "Cub" flight profile! :eek: Although if range is an issue, it could be the answer.

OTOH, it looks like you can get most of the "reported" performance gains by using a split set-up, one mechanical mag and one electric, and have the best of both worlds. Enhanced performance and proven reliability.

The one thing I haven't seen, from any of the EI systems, is any data of the pressure pulse generated during the combustion event with the extremely advanced timing these EI's REQUIRE to enhance performance. It's likely, with very low power production, the pressure pulse SHOULD be reasonably tame. However, I haven't seen anyone offer any proof of any data, or even if there is any! :D

Back