• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Purpose/necessity of continuous rib stitch cord?

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
I am ribstitching my 2+2 wings now and have yet to quite understand why I need to stitch with one LONG piece of cord. Why not individual stitch's. What is the structural purpose of one cord?

its faster.... thats all.... and its the right way...

you could do singles and locks if you are a brute for punishment....

I use 2 pieces, start at the outboard ends, and work my way to the center. No difference to me if the wing is on sawhorses or in a rotisserie. I'll work the LE side first, then come around and work the TE side. It sure goes a lot faster when you're not trying to pull 16' of string through the wing. I also use the "Beech knot"

Jason

I thought faster was one of the reasons. But it is frustrating to keep from tangling that long cord. :)

I'm with Dan. With the little bit of stitching I did on my tailfeathers, I wound up doing square knots & locking with half hitches, and pulled 'em through. I found that Ray's running knots sometimes locked before they got tight, which got me tight. Wings may be different, will see this winter. :)

if the knots are locking before tight you are doing them wrong...period...

pay attention to the drawings as far as working from top to bottom or vise versa..

also do every other rib... then come back and do the other half set....

when you actually follow the directions it goes quick.....

If don' have Polyfiber's video get it. Set up a TV beyond the wing with TV remote one hand and the needle and thread in the other. You will be an expert in no time. My good friend Bob had absolutely no experience stitching wings and did both of mine with the help of the video. Thanks again Bob.

Clyde Smith, Jr. came through last spring and rib stitched two J3 wings for a friend. Everything was set up and all he had to do was stitch. He used a continuous stitch but did not run the cord under the fabric between stitches. Flat rib stitch cord lays nicely beside the reinforcement tape.

He single handedly stitched the two wings in 7:42.

John Scott

Sorry Mike, & I knew I was doing something wrong.
I thought it was my tightening technique. I'm sure I followed the video just right, but... :)
For sure I'll haft'a "relearn" after so many sleeps since last time. :) I'll go see the EAA vid. too. Thanks.

I think I'll be happy to get ONE wing done in 7:42.

Once you get the knot down and a system going rib stitching goes very fast. I got it down to 15 min a rib using the Stitts hidden knot. Don

Back