• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

hard blue epoxy replacement carburetor floats

garyh

3gv
i have a ma-3spa precision rebuilt carb(5/31/01) which has the 1 piece venturi and new fuel nozzle but still the old precision float. i have not had any problems whatsoever but am thinking of sending off at next annual(2 mo.) to have the new hard blue epoxy float #30-860/30-862/30-864 installed. if anyone has had this done wondering if you sent it off to Volare carb. llc or some other service center for float replacement and cost?
thanks,
gary

I have all my carburetor work done by Tim at Darrell Bolduc's shop here at KANE - he is very careful and knows the carbs very well! http://www.bolducaviation.com/

I did have the new hard shell foam filled float with SS metal parts installed last year in my MA-4SPA. I don't recall the exact amount but I think it was around $150 to $200.

Darrel

Was this an AD or service bulletin? I have an MA-4-5 and don't really know what's in there for a float. 1970 vintage. Do I need to check on it and plan on a float change to be safe? This carb has never been installed on an aircraft. NOS.

Thanks,
J

jayh,
it's a mandatory service bulletin #msa-13 issued 7/18/08 by precision carb. and says that all brass and foam floats by precision or facet should be replaced no later than 12/31/08 and applies to all precision, facet and marvel-schebler carbs unless you have "ff" or "ic15" stamped on the face plate.
gary

Darrel Starr said:
I have all my carburetor work done by Tim at Darrell Bolduc's shop here at KANE - he is very careful and knows the carbs very well! http://www.bolducaviation.com/

I did have the new hard shell foam filled float with SS metal parts installed last year in my MA-4SPA. I don't recall the exact amount but I think it was around $150 to $200.

Darrel

Darrel, the email address on the website you noted got bounced. Do you have a correct email address for the Bolduc shop?

Thanks - -

Gary, if the float in that MA3-SPA is brass, I'd be interested in getting it from you.
JimC

I Elk hunt with the guy who invented the process and makes these floats for Tempest Volare. This is second hand through me, and I'm not an expert.

By far most lawsuits in carbs are from the floats. The weak point in the whole system has traditionally been the float. Every type of float/pontoon to date has had a weekness, until this one. I can't speak on AD's.

Brass, sodder-welded, can sink. Some plastics have been hollow and ultrasonically welded shut. Can sink. Some plastics have an "open cell" structure that will allow leakage eventually and slowly sink, needing constant carb adjustment.

Blue is the way to go. I just sold my plane, but my new one will have the blue epoxy floats. Here is a good you tube video of the differences. It's actually interesting at approx 4 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG639ESY9-4

PS. If your floats sink, your carb floods. You're best bet if you have the presence of mind is go full throttle and lean your mixture back to barely running to get you to the ground! Good luck.

Cal

Back