PDA

View Full Version : How does the Wag Aero 2+2 measure up?

shortfielder
11-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I have a c-180, but I see a of of places that I would like to land, but don't want to take my 180 there. I would like 180hp Super Cub performance, but can't afford one. I have seen a 180 hp.Wag-Aero 2+2 Sportsman for sale. How would this perform? Is it strong enough? Can you buy extended gear for it or do you make your own? Anything else I might want to know or ask?
Thanks Gary

J5Ron
11-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Never flown a 2+2...so I can't comment on that...a friend here in AK has a180 that he takes into some pretty short cub stuff...400ish...maybe a bit shorter...he however is a great driver. A 2+2 should make a good plane...building one now...but mine will have flaps...Does the one you are looking at have flaps?

Marty57
11-04-2009, 01:40 AM
The 2+2 I'm building will also have flaps. The gear is standard Super Cub attach fittings. I used stock gear to jig up the fittings so I can add extended gear down the line if needed. The 2+2 has a trim tab rather than the jack screw. I added the jack screw and rear fuselage reinforcements to my fuselage so mine is more PA14 than 2+2 at this point. My wings are wood and composites but stock SC attach points and X bracing. Should fly in maybe 2 years.

Marty57

Tim
11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Gary, you would have to fly the one for sale to know for sure. Mine doesn't have flaps, so I can get in where I can't get out. A 180hp 2+2 with flaps, if light won't be a supercub, but should get in and out of 250 to 300ft with alot of practice. With no flaps, 400ft is about as short as I care to look at.

Tim

shortfielder
11-04-2009, 08:05 AM
J5 and Marty, I will check on the flaps to whether or not it has them.

Tim, given your location, I will assume hose #'s are for pretty low elevations.

I am in Durango, Colo. My flying starts at 6700' and goes up, that Is why I am looking so hard for something that will give me exc. t/o performance, and still get affordable fuel and reasonable100+mph) cruise.

Thanks Gary

bob turner
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I think you guys should sell tickets for folks to watch C-180 ops in 400' fields and Cub ops in 250' fields - even without obstacles, it ought to be entertaining. I can get stopped and airborne in those distances, but there is no room for error of any kind at all. And I am not 100% consistent, after lots of measured practice.

Just opinion.

skywagon8a
11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I have a c-180, but I see a of of places that I would like to land, but don't want to take my 180 there. I would like 180hp Super Cub performance, but can't afford one. I have seen a 180 hp.Wag-Aero 2+2 Sportsman for sale. How would this perform? Is it strong enough? Can you buy extended gear for it or do you make your own? Anything else I might want to know or ask?
Thanks Gary

Gary, Why don't you want to take your 180 into the places? Is it because of the length of the strip or is it the condition of the surface? If it is the length, I would ask you if you have the longer seaplane prop, wing extensions and perhaps Robertson drooped ailerons? All of these will give you shorter take off distances and better climbs. Same or better cruise speeds. Larger diameter tires for poor surface conditions. Keep the 180.

shortfielder
11-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm not going into strips. I will be going where there aren't strips. Mtn./mesa tops, beaches, etc. I can get in and out of most strips with what I have.

I think lighter is better for this stuff. For the cost of the Robertson kit, bigger tires, and wing extensions, I could buy another plane.

I've got a pretty nice 180, and I don't want to put it through the abuse.

J5Ron
11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Not sure what you're gettn at Bob?

I think you guys should sell tickets for folks to watch C-180 ops in 400' fields and Cub ops in 250' fields - even without obstacles, it ought to be entertaining. I can get stopped and airborne in those distances, but there is no room for error of any kind at all. And I am not 100% consistent, after lots of measured practice. [quote]

Is it disbelief? I can understand...But one of the places I am thinking of is short...and yes a Copper Basin bush pilot goes in and out with people, and moose meat yearly...like I said...he's a great driver..and he 180 is a great performer....he is one you see and hear of consistently being on of the top performers in Valdez...

Ron

bob turner
11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
What I was getting at? I am sure there are God-like pilots who can consistently do 400' fields with a C-180, loaded. I have simply not met any. I doubt that I ever will, but we do have our runway pretty well marked. If you are in San Diego and can get a loaded 180 off consistently in 400', come show us. I can buy 250' in a Super Cub, but not consistently with obstacles - even little ones like water or bushes.

aviationinfo
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
I agree with Bob---you have the performance of these airplanes available, but for the average human you need to double what it's capable of doing in terms of length in order to be able to have any kind of margin at all.

That's not to say the guys who fly hunters in AK for a living can't do it safely. I just mean for MOST of us, if you think your plane can take off in 250' loaded you better not go anyplace with less than 500' available.

My 12 will consistently perform beyond my comfort level, but since I'm not an A&P or gifted in any way with repairs I've found it easier on my heart to skip some sites. I still don't see how you guys can land and stop in 250' without antiskid...in an airplane weighted with normal amenities like an interior, an electrical system and starter. Sorry for the thread creep.