• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Started covering my 2+2 wings today

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
Got started on my ribblet 66" wings today. I am using Stewarts system. After watching the youtube videos and the 6 set dvd, which is about the same as the youtube ones. I decided to jump in and started on the right wing. So far so good. Have fabric on the bottom and ready for the first shrink. My dad has used dope razorback and polyfiber and after initial reluctance when I first told him about the stewarts stuff, he seemed to really like several aspects such as odorless and the "clampless glue clamp". Back at it tomorow.

Great Dan! I would use it again for another plane for sure. I am happy with my results.

IM000113.JPG

Painted the rt wing. Using Stewarts system insignia white. I was pretty darn happy with the result. I painted the tank cover first and then the wing. Alittle orange peel but not bad. I talked to Dan at Stewarts and he advised I get a 1.3 mm gun as the instructions say. Mine is a 1.5. That should cut down on the orange peel.
0054.JPG
[/img] Buggs your plane is looking sweet.

Another view. I covered all the junk in my shop with plastic and tarps on the floor. then sprayed water on the floor. No dust in the paint but one dang bug. Tried picking him out but ended up smashing him into the paint and painted two more coats over his a&*. Hardly shows. Also notice my hitech wing rotator with the c-clamped 2x4 screwed to the end of a sawhorse. Works good just tighten the clamp where you want the wing. I am having fun now!
0014.JPG
:lol:

With most paints orange peel is caused by paint to thick or low air pressure at the nozzle of the gun and of coarse nozzle size. Experiment by thinning the product a little further if recommended. Some products flow better than others as well meaning after you spray them they continue to run flat until they tack. Looks very good. overall, give yourself an A.

Hi Dan,
Looking good! I used the 1.3 tip, 22psi at gun, and 19-20 seconds for paint viscosity. Make sure paint is at room temperature, make sure paint booth is 68*F or higher.

If you want the most glassy finish, you can lightly sand what you have now smooth with 330 open coat paper and then shoot 3-4 coats on and it will look like Monokote. This is optional depending on what you are looking for.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. More pressure helped with the 1.5 nozzle, I had 22psi but went to 25psi, 20 secs viscosity. At $250/gal I am not adding coats plus I got tired of sanding during the ekofill stage. Wirsig, it is good to get in gear or 5 1/2 years from now you will still be building like I have been. Now I work on something on the plane everyday even if just for 20 minutes. Trying to form new habits. Its funny how tired I feel sitting in the recliner but I get up and go to the shop and before I know it its been two hours of good times.

Nice Job...Just got some of my Stewarts last weekend. Hope to do it over the Christmas Holiday...Like your wing stand...post a couple more picures of that please...
Ron

Tilt your head to the left.....and you will notice the board at the bottom which keeps the upright from trying to rotate when the wing is rotated. You could fasten the upright to the sawhorse somehow and get the same result. But I wanted this to be easy to take back off and I ran out of screws
0037.JPG
:wink:

Back