• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I did I did I did

aktango58

FRIEND
18AA
Today I did it! :lol:

called up to them guys at Birchwood and put my name on one of them new steel baskets they make :wink: .

Ok, so the questions to you all...

What should the new Highwater Chicken have on it besides float fittings, a rear baggage door (upper), metal tail section of belly and big glass?

Flat top? (not pma'ed)

other ideas?

Thanks for the help!

I would have them weld two of these in it near the tail for stability.

Seriously, there is a $30 mod that involves a short piece of tube that braces the fuselage to the tube that is the front of the rear seat. It's part of a gross weight increase mod you may want at some point.

And I forgot one other thing - Cargo net fittings. Most people don't do these. I love mine.

Jerry

I reckon it comes with the important stuff like overhead X-brace & belt tabs welded to the floor 'eh?

Congrats on the big purchase, see what harvesting a mature animal does for ya? :)

Yes Logan, all that in there.

Yes on the upper baggage door, no on lower. I do not want the extra door/weight and it will be another place for people to drop sleeping bags into the water next to the float :oops:

TJ, AF and I have had one such discussion. will be talking more to them. Their list is on the web...

Cubflier, Great idea! Surprised that Logan did not offer that one!

I was thinking of one above my head so I could drop it every time I do something stupid :drinking:

Already ordered the brace for the GW increase. Looked like a good idea.

X brace and 3rd seat are standard, so on there. I will check on tiedown tabs, one I missed.

My goal is to push it out, with 3" gear, 31's and the combi pod, two radios, (one 2 meter), at under 1150. Tall order, but going to try.

With all my moose meat I don't see me losing weight this winter 8) . Maybe if I carry the anvil all winter in my pack...

you getting it already powder coated when it gets to you, or you doing some welding too?

make sure to add ground lug on torque tub mount if using under seat battery, and a couple ground lugs under dash..

T.J. said:
They provided the STC paperwork needed to complete the 337. I refused to sign off the welding I did not do.
I was under the impression that when I buy a PMAed part, no further paperwork is required. I guess I am wrong.

I thought that was why they bought the hanger next door, to do the "mods" that cant be done at the PMA operation location... would think they would gladly sign it off in the first (A&P) block on 337.....

I have no problem signing of others work of it is done right, and I've seen their welding, and definitely have no problems there....

Ground lugs under dash and by seat... great point!

TJ, I am restricting myself to 'PMA' stuff only. buy part, install part on plane.

I am getting it powder coated up there. I intend, (hope, pray) that I do not have any welding to do, so the powder coat will not be damaged.

my idea is to limit my down time...

There are fliers

There are builders

the intersection of the two is rare, and even more so if they own one plane.

I'm thinking of using one of their frames for an experimental. Any suggestions on anything different than those mentioned for the certified use?

Aktango58 did they quote you a delivery time? What wings are you going to use? What engine to try to get to 1150lbs.?

Thanks,

Gary

I am putting my old wings back on, and my old engine- narrow deck 0-320 with 1,000 smoh, second run I think.

My plan is to go small guages, limited crap er, mods.

Stock wings with the vg's

extra baggage

light floor (have carbon fiber but thinking about Gander's comments in crash)

Light side panels

No vacuum system

Keep the number of repairs to nil.

I may build the baggage compartment from carbon fiber.

Other ideas to keep it light?

forgot- delivery is 2-3 months currently. Hence my hurry to put a deposit in. They just got a couple of orders ahead of me.

I am also looking to got to breaker switches to limit the wires/stuff to get 'green wire syndrome'.

Thoughts?

Thanks. I am also concerned about keeping it light. Just starting getting my thoughts together on how I am going to build. I may have some advantages going experimental, but basics will be the same as a certified cub I would think. I'll post my thoughts as I get further into it. Thanks for the info on delivery. I need to get my order in ASAP if I am going to be flying next summer.

Gary

Back