• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

props

96chevtruck

Twin Falls , Idaho
I am building a Turbine cub kit and just purchased a 0-375 from Aerosport. Any suggestions on props , metal or composite for 205 H.P.? Thanks, Bill.

Bill

Jim Richmond once told me the best prop for a 180hp+ engine is a Pawnee 1P235. It was never certified on a Cub, but since you are experimental you will be able to run it.

The engine in my Smith Cub puts out 200+hp and I run a 1P235 8443. I originally ran it at 8442. I fly in mostly low country so I had it repitched to 8444....I picked up 7mph and lost 200-300fpm climb. My T/O roll was 100ft longer.

I recently had it repitched again (maybe one more tweek left) during an OH to 8443 and it now performs like it is 100-150lbs lighter than at 8444.I lost 3mph in cruise.

Of course, you may choose to go C/S with an MT. That is the best of the best if $$ is no issue. I didn't even have that option as I have a solid crankshaft engine.

I have heard that MT will be offering a FP prop soon. That would be a big weight savings, but at what price?

Good luck,

Lou

MT constant speed. If you plan on having fun in the mountains and making good time when traveling in my opinion it's the only way to go. (up high with full on camping gear for two people, full fuel)

Lou, you do have an option. MT electric CS. Two and three blades. Evenually one will go on my E2D. I've got prices for both. Three blade best for full on take off but gives up a little on cruise, two blades opposite compromise.

Just looked at MT's website. No mention of weight specs or pricing....anyone have info on this?

Tks,

Lou

Lou, I wanna say it's 13lbs heavier than the 235prop.
I figure if I get rid of my leading edge exhaust for suttons which is about 9lbs lighter I'd only be adding 4lbs to what I have now, I could live with that. It's the $13,000 I'm trying to grasp at the moment.

Brad

I am running an 0-375 from Aero Sport and I have a 90", 35 pitch prop on it. I love it.-------Palhal

Palhal

What sort of performance numbers are you seeing with the 9035?

Brad, I too am having trouble with the high cost vs benefit.
I won't give up the performance gain of my LEES for a few lbs less weight either.

Probably just stick with my 8443.

Lou

Fortysix12 said:
..... MT electric CS. Two and three blades. Evenually one will go on my E2D. I've got prices for both. Three blade best for full on take off but gives up a little on cruise, two blades opposite compromise.

I checked their website also, ditto on no mention of price or weight. And how about an actual weight, not X amount lighter or heavier than this or that prop?

Eric

I'll post the price and weight monday. The file is at the office. The price was around 9K but I think there was a discount not included. The weight was less than 3 pounds heavier. The weight for hydraulic or electric is almost identical. Considering they are certified or Certified 18's, the weight is non issue.

I talked to Larry about the fixed pitch composite prop. That will be the way to go. It will take 17 pounds off the nose and run smoother than any metal prop.

John,
are you referring to an MT prop, with 'Borer' type numbers, ie, 8242/43 ? Did you get an idea of price and availability?
cheers,
Phil

FdxLou said:
Palhal

What sort of performance numbers are you seeing with the 9035?

Brad, I too am having trouble with the high cost vs benefit.
I won't give up the performance gain of my LEES for a few lbs less weight either.

Probably just stick with my 8443.

Lou

FdxLou-------I ordered a 9035 prop and lacked 150 RPM static. Found my tach was 100 RPM slow so installed a new tack which brought me to 50 RPM slow. Checked the prop and found it to be a 37 instead of a 35 pitch.

This winter I will change my 8 1/2 pistons to the 9 1/4 pistons and I will get my static 2450 RPM.

Prop pitches are like guages and senders. The props that have been twisted can vary pitch from one shop to another. I have found factory new props on the money.

Palhal

pfjay52 said:
John,
are you referring to an MT prop, with 'Borer' type numbers, ie, 8242/43 ? Did you get an idea of price and availability?
cheers,
Phil

That is my understanding. He said it was ready to go a month ago. I think he said $2,700 (not sure).

I asked about a ground adjustable prop, which I think would be perfect. He said that there is not enough cost savings over the constant speed prop.

Hi John., I am putting 31" bushwheels with Atlee Dodge saftey cables on next week before the snow flies. Haven't heard from you for awhile. How are you doing? Fly over to my strip MN19 when you have some time.

Cal in Delano

Hey Cal, stopped by your place a while back but saw no signs of life. My bird was down for a month -- had an unscheduled engine overhaul -- but she is back up and running now. We should get out to enjoy the fall flying. You will love the bush wheels.

With multiple tests with all variants of the -360 on Husky and PA-18 and C170, C172, C175, the MT 58 series 2-blade composite prop has consistently outperformed all other metal props. Yes it is expensive. MT makes no apologies for the cost of high quality and design. The fixed pitch versions weigh 16 lbs and are $1700. The 2-blade hydraulic is 46 lbs and $10,450. The 2-blade electric is 46 lbs and $12,200.

John,
You mention in another post the (borer-type)fixed pitch prop is not ready? What is the $1700 prop mentioned here; Any ideas/plans about for a -320 size fixxer?

Mike

The most demand is for a fixed pitch to pull -360 powered aircraft using our steel edged scimitar blade. Once that is done, we will modify the design to be optimized for -320 variants. Price today for the 74" MT fixed pitch prop is $2700. We expect these props to be there or just slightly higher.

Back