• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carbon fiber floor and side panels?

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
I am considering what material to use for my 2+2's rear floors and side panels. I know kydex is a popular choice but I am looking at carbon fiber. The small car guys have a lot of choices of different weaves and colors for prefabbed carbon fiber panels. Some of these are really attractive. So does any one have input on what thickness and weave would be useful? Also what weight savings if any.

Do not use carbon as the last layer inside of the cabin. If you get in a accident those panels and floor boards will turn into thousands of razor needles. The general rule of thumb for composite planes is a layer of kevlar inside the cabin area to protect the pilot -passengers from that sort of thing. If you want the cool black weave look they make kevlar dyed black called "technora" You will have to lay up your own panels and vacume bag and infuse if possible to get any kind of decent results. Infusion is the best method with the best finish cosmetic wise. Go to you tube and search vacume infusion. Kevlar is lighter than carbon and stiffer than glass, very hard to repair. For floor boards you will need a core like diviycell pvc 1/8 -1/4 is fine. airex is probably a better choice it will not shear as easily. Stay away from honeycombs.

I have always wanted to do the back of a cub as a "tub" .. floor and sides as one.. or at least floor with lips going up a bit out of some flavor of composites..... some day...

rented a great dvd from www.smartflix.com on Vaccum Infusion Process well worth the price!

I thought maybe the thousand shards might be a problem, so I will forget the carbon fiber. Kydex sounds better all the time, thanks Gander.

Gander, I always enjoy reading your posts.

:D

you are a wealth of not always obvious info, yet pushing the edge on improving these planes and engines.

Keep it up!

What's the problem with the honeycomb core floorboards?
(I was thinking about using 4605 Gilfab for the weight savings)
JimC

Back