• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Source for Good Anti Chafe Tape

PA18project

Missoula MT
II bought some anti chafe tape which appears to be a form of cloth tape, similar to athletic tape from aircraft spruce. I put a bunch of it on my newly constructed wing only to find that it does not really want to stick.

What are you guys using for anti chafe tape for your wings. I would like to find something with better adhesive than this stuff I got from spruce. Thanks for the input.

PA18project said:
II bought some anti chafe tape which appears to be a form of cloth tape, similar to athletic tape from aircraft spruce. I put a bunch of it on my newly constructed wing only to find that it does not really want to stick.

What are you guys using for anti chafe tape for your wings. I would like to find something with better adhesive than this stuff I got from spruce. Thanks for the input.

Try pressing it down with a warm iron (around 225 deg). It sticks a lot better after applying heat.

you mean over seams and screws right?
3m 233+ masking tape...... for seams

and drafting dots over screws....

screw seams well so it will not crack there... tapes not suposed to hold it together..

01010010.JPG

01010006.JPG

Thanks for the replys. Mike, you are correct, I am looking to cover the seams between the individual leading edge pieces as well as the screws. In addition, I was planning to run tape along the top and bottom of the ribs before covering.
Where do you get the dots?
Thanks for the help.

PA18project said:
Thanks for the help.

getting harder to find old fashioned stuff like this.... office depot...

I stole this Idea from Burl of AOSS suspension, on a set of wings I covered for him many years ago....

PA18project said:
In addition, I was planning to run tape along the top and bottom of the ribs before covering.
Thanks for the help.

I never bother doing ribs(unless hiding a repair).... waste of weight and tape.... must be some old cotton fabric thing.....

I actually discontinued tape for all such items. It seemed like it always showed through the finished fabric. My leading edges have at least three layers of fabric anyway, counting the ribstitch tapes and the full surface tape from top to bottom of the leading edge tin.

Besides, it is a real pain in the neck to remove it for the next cover job. Piper originally used really slim-headed slotted #4 sheet metal screws, and I use those when I can find them.

I recently uncovered a wing done by Cub Crafters. They used the 3M green masking tape and it seemed to work well. I like the drafting dot idea. I have glued stips of fabric over the leading edge seams because the anti-chafe tape doesn't stick well and as Bob pointed out shows through the fabric.

mike mcs repair said:
PA18project said:
Thanks for the help.

getting harder to find old fashioned stuff like this.... office depot...

I stole this Idea from Burl of AOSS suspension, on a set of wings I covered for him many years ago....

on roll does a few planes & really makes it look professional through the fabric.... A little "art" to putting them on nice without wrinkles just like regular masking tape... so far the printing on them has not bled through with dope, you might test what ever product you are covering with.....

or here online

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&resnum=0&q=staedtler drafting dots&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N

oh wow, they have different sizes! I will have to see what i got....

Hockey tape. Can't tell difference from Ceconite tape. Buy from any sporting goods store.

I used Tyvek Tape available at hardware stores None of the solvents touched it. Soaked it in MEK and it had no affect. I have even removed fabric with MEK and the tape stayed in place, ready to be covered again. The heat of the iron had no affect on it either. It is very thin and strong and does not show through the fabric. The fabric will not stick to it so it can be used in locations you don't want the fabric to stick. I used thin strips to allow the fabric to "break away" from the structure in clean lines where it tends to wrap around edges. Don't use it where you want the fabric to stick! I used small pieces on all the screw heads on the wings. Because it is thin, I recommend touching up burrs on screw heads with a file if your screwdriver slipped. It also allows the fabric to span across gaps or overlap joints neatly, making for a smoother job. It will not draw or hold water like some of the tapes.

RPURCELL said:
I used Tyvek Tape available at hardware stores None of the solvents touched it. Soaked it in MEK and it had no affect. I have even removed fabric with MEK and the tape stayed in place, ready to be covered again. The heat of the iron had no affect on it either. It is very thin and strong and does not show through the fabric. The fabric will not stick to it so it can be used in locations you don't want the fabric to stick. I used thin strips to allow the fabric to "break away" from the structure in clean lines where it tends to wrap around edges. Don't use it where you want the fabric to stick! I used small pieces on all the screw heads on the wings. Because it is thin, I recommend touching up burrs on screw heads with a file if your screwdriver slipped. It also allows the fabric to span across gaps or overlap joints neatly, making for a smoother job. It will not draw or hold water like some of the tapes.

oh that sounds neat, thanks!

Back