PDA

View Full Version : Control Pulleys

Jim Miller
09-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Where is best place to buy ball bearing aluminum control pulleys. Are they recommended over the Piper original pulleys?

Thanks

jgerard
09-12-2009, 10:03 AM
That's "experimental only" stuff

For Certified Cubs Dakota Cub has the large BB replacement ones for the aileron system. You will need to buy new cages as well because the pin size is smaller.

Jason

Jim Miller
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Jason
It is for experimental use. I have installed standard pulley brackets and want to use standard size mounting bolts. I have a set of original piper pulley's but thought maybe the aluminum ball bearing ones would make for smoother controls and be an improvement over the old ones.

Thanks
Jim Miller

jgerard
09-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Supercub.com

mike mcs repair
09-12-2009, 12:06 PM

For Certified Cubs Dakota Cub has the large BB replacement ones for the aileron system. You will need to buy new cages as well because the pin size is smaller.

Jason

Hmmm, a person with a lathe could make a quick pair of stepped washers to make the small bolt fit the large holes... and not have to replace cages?

another question, whats the difference between the ball bearing flap system pulleys and what they sell for aileron system? same I would think?

Steve Pierce
09-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I've thought the same thing Mike.

DW
09-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I've flown cubs with the ball bearing pulleys and they are smother but a little heavier then stock pulleys.

DW

bob turner
09-12-2009, 01:34 PM
There may be some evidence that aluminum pulleys are harder on the cable?

mike mcs repair
09-12-2009, 02:41 PM

Jason

Hmmm, a person with a lathe could make a quick pair of stepped washers to make the small bolt fit the large holes... and not have to replace cages?

another question, whats the difference between the ball bearing flap system pulleys and what they sell for aileron system? same I would think?

ok so I just made one out of stainless.... I would think you could do this as an owner produced part and such?????

will post video in a bit, quick and easy...
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BOkp4HhMtPc/Sqvqys5aBKI/AAAAAAAAd8g/ga29et49rt0/s640/DCAM0073.JPG

skywagon8a
09-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Mike to be an owner produced part it must still comply with the original approved specs. If it was made out of stainless you would need, at the minimum, a field approval or an STC.

mike mcs repair
09-12-2009, 04:17 PM
video up... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UdikObl7q0

hmmm.... if i use a stainless washer instead of a cad plated one.... yah...sure I will get a field approval just for that..... :o

I seen some wild things that were "owner produced" parts, not like original at all....kinda thought that's what the spirit was....

like putting the big gar-aero small tire as a nose wheel on a 206 and making a custom fork to do it.....

I just always ask the faa what I would need to do to make whatever and they tell me, plus field approvals are not too hard to come by if appropriate here...

wirsig
09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I've been told that SS and AL don't play well together, I think it had something to do with the galvanic chart where the SS causes the AL to corrode. Could be wrong though.

Gordon Misch
09-13-2009, 12:58 AM
I've been told that SS and AL don't play well together, I think it had something to do with the galvanic chart where the SS causes the AL to corrode. Could be wrong though.

True, however an electrolyte (water, for example) must be in contact with both materials, and ideally both materials would be in direct contact with no intermediate material. In this case there's a steel ball bearing between them? The assembly presumably would be lubed, so it seems that given only atmospheric moisture, it would be just fine.

I do wonder though, in what way aluminum might be better than micarta?

Jim Miller
09-13-2009, 07:51 AM
The pulleys that come with the supercub kit from turbine cubs look good from the website. Are they made special for this kit or off the shelf items? Is the center hole size for these pulleys standard supercub?

Jim Miller