• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building an EXP engine

You can use any engine you want if you're going home built experimental.
Go to AC20-27F if you're planning on building. It has a flow chart to walk you through certification, etc.
Page 13 of AC20-27F has a chart that says if you use a certified engine and prop combination that you only have to test fly for 25 hrs vs. 40 hrs for the non cert. engine.

Build your own engine

Assemble Engine is a line item on the old Form 8000-38, the checklist for 51% rule compliance, so you would get a check mark for putting your engine together.

Please note that there are new rules coming out very soon regarding amateur built compliance. It is certainly not likely that Assemble Engine would be removed from the new list of tasks, but we don't really know what the new rule is going to say until it is released.

For an EXP/AB you can use any engine you want, but I have seen DARs give builders a hard time about using non-aircraft parts on their engines or not complying with ADs applicable to that engine. I do not believe that this is a correct interpretation of the regs, but I have seen it happen. I suppose if it does you can always go find another DAR, but you aren't likely to get your money back.

Certainly if you are trying to make the case that you are entitled to the shorter 25 hour flight test period, you would need to have an engine that meets certificated engine standards.

Back