• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best choice in bush tires and gear?

NunavutPA-12

FRIEND
67.8N,115.1W CYCO Canada
My (Experimental) PA12-160 has always been on floats, but during the coming winter I will be getting all the bits and pieces organized to enable a switch to tundra tires when the water gets hard.

I don't intend to do any extreme off-airport landings as I'm not highly experienced but I would like to land occasionally on beaches, old airstrips or a piece of not-so-rough tundra from time-to-time.

What would be the best choices for tailwheel and the size of the main tires? I'm thinking 26's or 29's and a Bushwheel tailwheel ass'y, but I need some advice from those more experienced than me.

3-inch or 6-inch extended gear?

Larry

31" Bushwheels and if you're landing in snow I'd stick to stock gear. Less leverage to put you on your back.

Snow landings require a different technique.

As it slows down you may need to go full power, stick in the lap to keep it from going over. If it feels like there is too much drag, go full power and start milking the flaps to get it back on top, and don't wait till it's too late or you're out of room. Also load everything to the rear before you go in.

Always avoid crusty snow!

Crash

guys--My first post--Just bought a exp. PA12 which has PA18 gear under it. with Dodge weld on rear fittings. I am looking at a set of 2000's which were removed from a Wag Aero Sportsman 2+2. Any of you sages know if they will fit up correctly, if not what will I need to do to make it all work?

Doug, you should start you own post.

Someone in the know might catch the title and more likely weigh in.

Also, next time another has the same question/situation, they may be able to search it easier. 8)

Doug I am not really a float guy but I don't believe they will fit without some changes. The 2+2 is more like a PA14 if i REMEMBER RIGHT . You should just need the -12 struts & attachments, Try Floats Alaska (907) 248-6161 or any Knowledgable Float Installer Good Luck

Back