• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wings next project

MNSC360

Howdy!

The fuselage is pretty much under control now and am contemplating the wing project. I have some junk certified wings for parts but need spars and ribs and some strut material. Where is the best source for these parts in one jump?
Are there some good ideas out there? Any input appreciated!

Thanks, mnsc360

Both of those look like good sources, actually cheaper than I thought they'd be. What are the dimensions of the front and rear spars on a SC?

tcraft128 said:
www.supercubproject.com

go to the drawings part of the page, all the wing info is in there.
Jay

Got it, thanks.

Carlson's page listed 5 different spar pairs and I couldn't remember which ones were for the Supercub. Aircraft Spruce carried them at one point but I couldn't find them in the catalog last night.

I was pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive a set of spars is. Granted, I believe these were for experimental use only (I think) but still cheap.

Carlson Aircraft spar 3A and 3B are what you are looking for.

They will ship them to you at a very reasonable cost.

Frank and Mary are great people - refuse to retire and watch soap operas - they work in the shop every day.

Is Carlson still in business? I've tried to call and e-mail them a couple times without any luck.

I can't remember, is your project exp. or certified? If Exp, then make sure you are building wings using exp. parts rather than rebuilding certified wings. I know it is one in the same, but rebuilding certified wings will not count toward 51% rule, building exp. (non certified spars as your base) will count. FAA is very funny these days.
Marty57

Ours is exp. About the only cert. parts I'm using are the ribs. I pussed out and purchased the ribs from Univair rather than poundin'em myself. I used blank spars, the control surfaces are exp. from D&E, and the fuselage is stick built from drwgs. I looked at D&E's strut material and it isn't thickened on the edges like the pics of the material on Carlson's website.

Sounds like you are at the same point as I am with my 2+2 / '14 project. Fuselage basically finished less pulleys and controls. Tail feathers done, gear on and rolling. Engine sitting in the shop. I should be starting to assemble my wings in the next few weeks (wood wings).

Marty57

I've been teaching woodworking for 30 years along with all other things Industrial Arts (7th & 8th grade) so it made sense. Real reason was the friend helping me (EAA Oshkosh judge 10+ years, test pilot for big aerospace, homebuilder, etc) asked why I would consider metal. After talking to him, I realized that wood can do the job just fine so off I went. The cost has been real nice also. I have all my wing ribs, spars, and flap and aileron wood parts finished and only have spent about $700. My wings, flaps, and ailerons should be complete for under $1000 (building all my own metal hinges, plates, etc) less covering. I guess that is the same reason I scratch built everything so far. My total cost has been less than $4K so far with rolling fuselage basically finished with tail feathers and the wings and control surfaces well underway. Needless to say, I am not in a hurry and I love the building process. As a teacher, not much extra $$$. My fuselage currently is sitting in my nice clean store room connected to my class room. I had it in my class room for the parents to see at back to school night; a real big hit. My students had a blast taking the outside doors of my classroom apart to make the fuselage fit through! The kids love to sit in it and make airplane sounds. My idea is rather than just talking to my students about technology I like them to see and feel the real thing. Great motivator.

Marty57

That's Awsome! I got so sick of hearing people say there's no way to build one for less than $40,000. Ours should fall around $15,000 all said and done.
I'm sending you a pm.

A 2332 vw based engine. going to fuel inject it w/ a megasquirt system and double up on the brainbox and crank sensors for redundancy. Should make around 120 hp.

Just spoke to Frank and Mary at Carlson.

Here is their contact info:

carlsonaircraft@att.net

(330) 533-4210 - company cell

(330) 426-3934 - company #

They are their from 9-5 and if they leave, the cell goes with them, but they do have dead spots in Ohio I guess.

They'll be happy to hear from you,

Back