• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AK burning

91 new fires in BC yesterday!

Apparently we lost a snowmobile cabin in the Rainbow mtns, probably the lil ski hill (rope tow) too. Road closed between here & Bella Coola (Heckman Pass) and some of our guests went hiking & got stranded down there. The rest of their family is having a reunion here ! :)

I showed ya the smallish fire burning near our caribou hills the other day, (Itcha mtns) & yesterday morning it was out, except for a few smoldering spots. Interesting that the fire left patches of trees.
Itcha_fire_out2.jpg

Just a slight breeze blew it downhill so it didn't get too big before they (2 'copters) got it out. You can see the dead/red (beetle kill) pines in the foreground that have been drying for 3 years now. They're explosive.

I hope all's well @ YOUR house!

Interesting, dry up there and in the northeast we had the wettest July on record, something over 10". That gravel bar in my avatar hasn't been seen for a month
Tim

Alaska Wildfire Smoke

There are more than 80 active wildfires in Alaska now. We developed a model for smoke forecasting here at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. In case you want to check for smoke in your Alaska flight planning, go to http://smoke.arsc.edu/ and select 'Current Fires' for a fast fire overview, and 'Forecasts' for smoke particulate concentration. The system is basically a blown up state of the art weather model with wildfire emissions and smoke chemistry. The web page and graphics are preliminary, only surface smoke graphics are posted at the moment. Note that a PM-2.5 (particulate matter with a diameter less than 2.5 micrometers) concentration of over 250 refers to a visibility of less than a mile.
The times in the graphics are Zulu. Forecast updates are done every night.

I hope this product helps. Critics, ideas for web page and graphics improvements, verification are always welcome. I plan to add visibility (as a function of smoke concentration) forecasts, additional pressure levels, vertical profiles at selected locations, and animations soon.
Thanks,
-Martin

Martin

Thanks for the link. I am currently on the north slope in 26 years I have never seen smoke up here as heavy as yesterdays. Must have alot of acreage on fire south of the brooks.

I noticed on the map there area a couple small fires around my home. Is there anyway I could click on the area and be linked to more information?

Thanks
Cub_Driver

Last report I saw, the Nenana area fire was up to about 400,000 acres. And about 2 million burned in AK this season.

Been hauling alot of gear to Circle, almost smoked in there.

Be safe out there guys!!

Cub_Driver,

the best up to date online information on fires is available from the Alaska Interagency Coordination Center at http://fire.ak.blm.gov/
Check the link for the link on the left for 'Maps/ Imagery/ Geospatial' and then go to Fire Information. The link is a bit slow, but you can zoom in the map and even get good information on fire shape and extend.

-Martin

Here is a picture of a huge fire I flew past about 3 weeks ago in Yukon Flats National Wildlife Refuge, about 75 miles west of Circle Hot Springs. No one was fighting it at the time, they were just letting it burn because it apparently wasn't threatening anything. This fire just stretched on for miles.

Picture_104a.jpg

Cub_Driver, try this interactive map of current Alaska forest fire activity which I've always found useful in my flights around the state:

http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf/imf.jsp?site=fire.

I hope all is well in Big Lake!

More moose pasture and morel mushrooms commin' up. Yummy!!!
Wish we could get this in the Washington Cascades!! For the elk down here though.
Mike

Back