PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Canada; Cub with a door?

Canuck Bob
07-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Happy Independence day. Also a quick thought for our foreign troops in harms way during our countries' birthdays.

I am canvassing some forums with a homebuilder question. I own a Fly Baby with a ton of excellent J3 parts and a strong A65 with a metal McCauley prop. The Wagaero Cubby interests me but I have 2 artificial hips and am XXL. I have gotten into a Super Cub but its not pretty and really not doable for my own plane.

I am considering combining a Sport Trainer and a Wagabond to make a single seat J3 with the Supercub wing attach style from the Wagabond. A lite weight clipped wing single seat Supercub without the Super. Has anyone seen a Cub with a door! Of course the Wagabond is the sensible route but it just isn't a Cub.

I can build it as a Canadian UL and it must fit my hangar, nice hangars on a great grass strip are much harder to get than a plane around here! 29' span, 20' length, 1200# gross.

Also I live at 4000'AGL and was wondering about clipped wing performance at 950# and 5000-6000 density elevation and 65hp.

Texas 12 driver
07-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Howdy!

You might start here by going into the photo gallery and looking at the PA-12 and J-5 galleries. These are Cubs with a pretty large door. I would have gotten a Super Cub myself, but my dad and I frequently fly together, and he has really bad knees, thus we purchased a PA-12 so that he could get in it, among other reasons.

JimC
07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I've got both a PA-12 and a J3. The 3 is far easier to enter, especially if your hips are damaged. The reason is that you can carry all of your entry weight with your arms when entering the 3.
JimC

jay heil
07-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Also I live at 4000'AGL --------------kewl