• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Its Toast

Dave Barras

FRIEND
New Iberia, LA
Yes its toast, and not the bread.
Its annual time, and not as lucky as last year.
Its the #3 exhaust valve, oh and the head is cracked to boot. @260SMOH on an 0-320-E2D in the Smith Pa-18/L21. After removing the cylinder, found that the intake tube sticking out of the sump was loose (sounds like its been running lean). Hope that is the reason and its an isolated affair. I'm not an A&P. Got a replacement cylinder on the way and the sump is being repaired.
Question for the engine builders:For valve covers and oil sump gaskets, what kind of gasket sealer(s) are used (or not) when building engines? Didn't have much if any oil leaks before and I would kinda like to keep it that way.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

The shop in Omaha suggested Copper Coat a few years ago and it seems to work. You can also get stuff apart again.

Sure has been hot here in the deep south, to hot to be doing the annual and missing all the great fly-ins. Gonna have to do these things in the early spring. Thanks for the info guys.

David, We went from 40-50 dgrees in ID to 100+ here at home. I'm ready to move. :lol: The mornings around here are not bad since we don't have the killer humidity y'all have.

The wife and I lived up in OK for a couple of years (for work). Upon arriving back home she asked "and what did we come back here for". Now this is a woman that I could not get to leave town before. The house is for sale now. North it will be!! :D

I'm looking forward to getting the Grasshopper back together and spending some time in the Winter up North. Been a in the south most of my life, its time for a change. I know we will come back often, both of us are Cajun Food junkies. The shrimp, the crabs, the oysters...is it time to eat yet?

winter

Steve Pierce said:
I say the same thing until winter. :eek:

Steve, the old saying around here is winter is what keeps the riff raff out. When its -30 and they get off the bus,,,they get right back on and keep going.

Dave

Back