• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stretched tailfeathers

King Brown

Nova Scotia
Building my stretched PA-22 Bushmaster, Lycoming 0-360 with Smith wings, I generally squared off SC-size tailfeathers, added a couple inches to each stabilizer. I had read larger area preferable with larger engines and of tail-stalls experienced in BC and Alaska. First flight planned in a couple months. Appreciate any comment, please.

I just built replicas of supercub tailfeathers so I will be interested to hear about your first couple of flights with your new bird. I am building a stretched pacer as well. 24" fuselage stretch, 17' wings, undetermined engine.

What did you decided to do with the engine mount. I am still debating on that one. Some go with the stock mount, others go as far out as an 11" extension.

Stretched Tailfeathers

I debated engine mounts as well and ordered the $US1,555 Univair PA22 conversion, strapped on the 180hp engine and now gambling 27-inch stretch and bigger tailfeathers all 4130, moving battery to firewall if necessary, will make CG. A stretched Pacer here rigged similarly came out O.K. and with 84/42prop exceeded expectations.

Moving the battery to the firewall from under the seat (if you have a Sutton exhaust or similar) will move the CG forward some if it needs it. If that's too much of a good thing, switch a lightweight Odyssey battery for the standard one.

Eric

Back