• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

IO-390 Maiden Flight

BSEC

Ham Lake, MN
I got to watch the maiden flight of an IO-390 equipped Supercub last night. With the 84” constant speed MT propeller it sounded like a Skywagon.

The test pilot was only going to go up for one flight around the patch but was having so much fun he stayed out until dark. He claims it’s the smoothest running Supercub he’s flown.

Take off roll was ridiculously short and it climbed like crazy. I’m not going to quote any numbers but if the speeds he claims are accurate it’s faster than the Husky.

The weight with the IO-390 and Dakota square tips came in the same as the last widebody I saw built with round wings and the 180 horse.

I don’t even have my plane finished and I want to change it… Anyone need a brand new 180 horse motor?
:roll:

Is your 180hp experimental or certified. details on the motor please. I know someone that might be interested. not making any promises.

The 180 is certified but I'm not really ready to give it up just yet. The plane is so close to completion I just want to get it done.

But it is tempting as heck to want a 210 horse motor when you know it's available and your project isn't done. I had the opportunity to go with the 390 on my plane but said nah... will be too heavy and I'm not sure the gain in HP will be worth it.

I was wrong on both counts....

I saw the 10-390x SC fly last evening also -- very impressive. I understand that it will be at Oshkosh and that an STC will be pursued.
Darrel

Darrel Starr said:
I saw the 10-390x SC fly last evening also -- very impressive. I understand that it will be at Oshkosh and that an STC will be pursued.
Darrel
I can see a dakota cub super-18 with a O-390, flying around making
the husky dogs cry.

IO- 390

Builders of Glasair Sportsmen have been using this engine for about three years with great results. Now that Lycoming has gained certification of this engine I wouldn't be surprised to see Husky and/or CubCrafters put one in one of their planes. The increase in performance you get from the extra 30 cubic inches of displacement is amazing.

If CubCrafters plans an IO-390 SC, they had better put their running shoes on 'cause H. O. Aircraft Inc, Blaine, MN, has a giant head start. As noted, John Mohr, the great airshow performer and Delta pilot, flew it last evening and came back all smiles. He particularly liked the smoothness of the IO-390.
The prototype has an 84 in. diameter MT MTV-15-B/210-58 composite prop and weighs 1242 lbs empty (no oil and only unusable fuel).
The panel includes a Garmin 696 (4 lbs heavier than the eventual panel mount version), Aspen EFD-1000 and Electronics International MVP-50P engine monitor.
The prototype is a certified SC that will be licensed experimental temporarily while H. O. Aircraft completes the STC certification. Dan plans to show the prototype at Oshkosh and have the STC by the end of the year.
Darrel
Here are some photos:
P1050255.JPG

P1050246.JPG

P1050249.JPG

P1050238.JPG

P1050254.JPG

P1050258.JPG

You can contact Dan White and look at other H.O. Aircraft projects at http://www.hoaircraft.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page6.html

Pretty cool stuff , nice. Looks like the 390 is an angle valve which is a fair bit heavier than a parallel. Would like to see a weight and balance on wheels of a 390 vs conical mount 360. The extra speed would sure be a nice feature for traveling .

Will the O390 fit under the same cowl as the O360, or will it require
new parts.

IO- 390

Any cowl that closely fits an O-360 parallel valve engine will probably be too narrow for the IO-390 engine, which is about an inch wider than the O-360.

Dave Prizio

Look at that instrument panel and toe brake pedals. IO-390, cool! They are going to make a Husky out of a cub yet.(I'm ducking, I know the rocks will be thrown)

Big Power IO-390

The other option for big power is the O/IO 375. Big power lite weight and way less expensive compared to the 390. Available in fixed pitch or constant speed and a low compression mogas version.

Bart do you have some specs. you can send me on the 375? A lot of my Friends are flying you motors and I'm interested in the 375--- not sure if I want the 0 or IO at this point.

thanks
Dennis

So if you have a 135 that is about to run out is this the motor you would use? I do not want to add a lot of weight to my 135.

I fly a 390 on a Sportsman 2+2 w/3 blade MT and it is almost as smooth as a turbine. No bull.

I presume one of the reasons this engine is so smooth is because it's using the balanced crankshaft?? Those balancers weigh a bit.

And, the prop is probably a large factor in both the smoothness and speed. Those props are really smooth in my experience.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like after certification. The 200 hp Husky had to go to two oil coolers to meet certification stds, adding weight.

Looks like a nice installation, in any case.

MTV

Back