• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best place to park the plane near Worcester, Mass?

Speedo

FOUNDER
TN
I'm going to a family wedding in late June and tentatively plan on parking the plane at Worcester (KORH) for two or three days. If you know of a better place (e.g., more oriented towards taildraggers, significantly better fuel prices, really cool museum at the airport, etc) please advise. The wedding is in Worcester, so alternate airports would need to be within 15 miles.

Hi Eric.

There are a bunch of smaller aifports in that area. I haven't been up there in a while so maybe the Mass boys like Flying Miss Daisy Seaworthy and Willyb will chime in. Worchester isn't too bad though.

If you have time, you can fly down to Bradley International (they let little guys in too) and go the the Bradley Air Museum. It's a great museum.

cafi

Eric my choice would be Sterling 3B3.Grass and pavement.Fuel prices are good for the area.Airport has good approaches just watch for gliders and call the grass if that's where your landing.Only 15 minutes from Worcester by nice highway.Best time to reach someone at the airport is on the weekend.The number I have is 978-422-8860.Usually Tom is in the office.If you get him tell him Bill Belmore put you up to it.They are good people and will treat you right.
Worcester is a nice airport way up on a hill but the security bs now might cause you some hassle.TSA is there.If you want to go there see if you can get in touch with the Worcester Area Pilots Assoc.I don't have a contact # but have met some good guys from it.
If I can help in any way my cell is 978-793-1266.

Bill

Hey Willy B
I was sending him to Spencer at 5 miles but sterling is great as well just further.
J

Thanks, all, for the help. Looks like I have several good options.

Now you can help me wow the Old Man (who spent a BUNCH of time in Mass.): I need restaurant recommendations - good local places that serve typical New England fare (whatever that is!) and won't be overrun by turistas. I'm particularly interested in any places in Worcester or Shrewsbury, or along the highway that joins the two. Shrewsbury is the ancestral home and we will be doing the obligatory "Roots" tour, including a visit to the family cemetery (woo hoo!) and a drive through "the old neighborhood."

John have you ever driven to Spencer from Worcester?It looks close but the road is awful.Sterling to Worcester is a joy.Eric I will ask around about restaurants.I really don't get out there much.

Bill

Hi Eric,
For lunch without atmosphere is New England Roast Beef at 33 Park Ave.
Alex my son who went to WPI tells me for the cost and what you get it is worth the trip.
For great atmosphere is Maxwell Silvermans. It is in the mechanical room of an old mill and has great food and fine dining.
It is on Worcester Center Blvd.
Sorry about Spencer it looks like Sterling is the better choice.
Thanks
John

Eric, you seem like a nice refined guy, what ever you do, don't get involved with those guys up there. They'll lead you down a road you shouldn't go down. 8)

Tim

Back