• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

extended baggage compartment for a pa-12

buckeye

denver colorado
Does anyone know of an extended baggage mod for a -12 that is just a the lower compartment with access by folding down the back seat. I see cub club has a 337 for a removable rear seat brace. I was thinking something along these lines.

I'd prefer not to have a baggage door.

Thanks,
jim

I was looking at one for my 12 but you will have to change to a cub type control setup to get rid of the idler in the back to have a flat floor. Thats why I didn go to it

Right, and folks typically reverse the dogleg brace at the same time.

The removable seatback brace and extended baggage compartment is a useful mod. If you go that route 1) be sure to install a stout floor (you'll be kneeling on it if you leave the battery behind the baggage compartment), 2) select fasteners for the back of the bagage compartment that facilitate easy removal of the back panel (you'll be accessing the battery and the aft end of the fuselage more than you think), and be sure to include provisions for the use of a stout cargo net that will keep you cargo from smashing you from behind in the event of a nose-over.

Doesn't Atlee Dodge have an STC for something like that? And...could it be installed after the fact, on a completed airframe? Would love to have that.

-12 Baggage

From somebody who is in the middle of a rebuild on a -12 that you wont want to do an extended baggage without having the entire fuselage apart. If you do Ron Sullivans STC, you will also need to modify the elevator system to be like a -18 which requires removing the seat, floorboards, sticks, rear seat etc. etc. Also, you will need to do some welding as there are a number of tubes that you need to weld in to brace the floor.

If is flying now, just leave it and have fun!

PA-12 LOWER BAGGAGE

WE AT COPPER RIVER AIRMOTIVE HAVE FABRICATED AND INSTALLED BOTH UPPER AND LOWER BAGGAGE ON PA-18s AND PA-12s.......THE 12s ARE CHARLIE CENTER MODs I THINK........HOPE THIS HELPS

extended baggage compartment

is the idler you're talking about the thing the control stick connects to? How about the control cables? Will they need to be rerouted?

Thanks

-12 Baggage

Everything behind the rear stick gets cut out including the bellcrank and all the associated channel that supports it comes out. You also have to make new cables and run the front cable forwards over a pulley and bracket like a supercub. Easy to see but hard to explain. look at Christian Strums website and find the -18 drawings for the control sticks. You will need to do some welding.

buckeye said:
Does anyone know of an extended baggage mod for a -12 that is just a the lower compartment with access by folding down the back seat. I see cub club has a 337 for a removable rear seat brace. I was thinking something along these lines.

I'd prefer not to have a baggage door.

Thanks,
jim

Include your location and you could go look at one.

Tim

Re: extended baggage compartment

buckeye said:
is the idler you're talking about the thing the control stick connects to? How about the control cables? Will they need to be rerouted?

Thanks

There are 2 control stick sockets that the sticks go into, and they are on a torque tube, the torque tube is connected to an idler/bellcrank behind the back seat via an interconnect rod and the elevator cable is connected to the idler. My airplane is apart for rebuild and it is now bare bones and I still think it is to much work for the return. Some folks like it and I am sure it works for them but I don`t think I will need it down here in Georgia.

Ron Sullivan has an STC too - Makes about six feet of flat floor with the back seat out. You can lay down in it.

Re: extended baggage compartment

Skip said:
buckeye said:

Thanks

There are 2 control stick sockets that the sticks go into, and they are on a torque tube, the torque tube is connected to an idler/bellcrank behind the back seat via an interconnect rod and the elevator cable is connected to the idler. My airplane is apart for rebuild and it is now bare bones and I still think it is to much work for the return. Some folks like it and I am sure it works for them but I don`t think I will need it down here in Georgia.

Skip-

If you have it down for rebuild I suggest putting the -18 elevator system in. At least it will be extended baggage ready for the next guy.

Tim

I used the M.R.Borer STC for the extended baggage in my PA-12. I only did the upper baggage, with an access door to the outside. I skipped the lower baggage because it would have required changing the elevator controls. The compartment has a wall to separate it from the cockpit, so the baggage stays out of the way in case of a nose-over. Adding the extended baggage moved my empty cg back a couple of inches, too.
windy

Back