• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Seat Belt opinion... per the FAA

HydroCub

Omaha NE
Found some info regarding the legality of TWO persons using ONE seat belt.

10-seat PC-12 That Crashed Legal with 14 Aboard?

The Pilatus PC-12 that crashed Sunday afternoon in Butte, Mont., was configured with only 10 seats, but under FAR Part 91 it might have been legal to carry the seven adults and seven children aboard the turboprop single, according to aviation attorney Randy Davis. All 14 died when the airplane “nosed in” while on short approach to Bert Mooney Airport. Davis, the vice president and general counsel at Cartersville, Ga.-based Phoenix Air Group, told AIN that the 10-seat PC-12 could have been legal with seven adults and one lap child under two years old occupying seven seats, and the children ranging in ages from three to nine sharing the remaining three seats.

Under FAR 91.107(a)(3) and an FAA chief counsel opinion issued in 1990, “Part 91 operations can and do permit at least two persons in one seat and secured by one safety belt,” Davis said, so long as their combined weight doesn’t exceed 170 pounds and relevant and legal aircraft type limitations are met. The FAA confirmed that the 1990 ruling is still valid and also affirmed the flight was being operated under Part 91.

However, FAA counsel is now looking at FAR 91.205(b)(13), an amendment added in September 1992, and any occupant limitations in the aircraft flight manual to determine the legality of such seat sharing. Meanwhile, the NTSB investigation of the crash is ongoing.

If the FAA's position evolves after this crash, I wonder how this will impact PA-12s with their two-people/one-belt back seats.

oldbaldguy said:
If the FAA's position evolves after this crash, I wonder how this will impact PA-12s with their two-people/one-belt back seats.

PA-12's are 3 butt airplanes, per the TCDS. I don't think the PC-12 is a 14 butt airplane per the paperwork, but obviously there is a loophole when flying with stickpeople.

All the jets that I've flown have had 2 O2 masks per seat in case there happened to be a lap child. I think airliners have one extra mask per row, but I could be mistaken. With that said, there is no way a standard seat belt is going to fit around a mom and a 9 year old, even if the mom is Kate Moss. I don't know how many supposed "lap children" they are claiming might have been on that PC-12, but if it's more than one, they probably didn't have a seat belt extension for them. If there were that many people on the plane, can you imagine how much crap they were bringing with them? Especially for a ski trip. Anyone who's flown charter will know what I'm talking about. That may not have had anything to do with the crash anyway.

Pa-15, Pa-17, Piper Vagabonds only have one seat belt, when it gets rough and bumpy we like to call it the love belt, with the right passenger of course. :D

Glenn

Pretty Little kids

I saw family pictures of the victims on another site. There must have been 8 kids total and they were all under about 6 years. What a loss for that family, It was three sisters and their families.

Back