• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mag Short

C-YQK

Wiring up my ignition switch today and found a short between the p-lead
terminal and ground
Anybody had this and what was the fix

Thanks
Gary

That's a feature when the mags are off. Does it do it when they are on?

sj

Like Steve said.. turn the mag switch to both and the "short" will magically go away.

That's how mags work... open circuit to run.. grounded to shut off. Guess you never used an old lawnboy mower as a kid! lol

Sorry I didn't finish the story

Mags are slick 20's

Wires are disconnected so it is checking between the p-lead terminal and the case of the mag

By the way done,done plenty of mowing!!!!!!!

I'm familiar with the Bendix 20, but what's the Slick 20?

At any rate, if you're moving the prop in the current condition, be advised your mag(s) are hot and spark is available to the ends of those leads and whatever is in contact with them. (spark plugs, your elbows, your dog)

Well,sorry but you are all wrong

If you take an ohm meter and connect it between the p-lead and the case of the mag you will read conductivity throughout the entire rotation which is what i was getting and lead me to believe there was a short in the mag

Tested the theory on a brand new one with the same result

Guess the timing light must sense the induction in the primary winding thus enabling correct timing to engine

There you go Mister LAWNMOWER MAN!!!!!!!

Even got oldtimers to think about that one

LOL

Gary

C-YQK said:
Well,sorry but you are all wrong

If you take an ohm meter and connect it between the p-lead and the case of the mag you will read conductivity throughout the entire rotation which is what i was getting and lead me to believe there was a short in the mag

Gary

thats what i said... tried to say.... the built in condenser on a slick makes it weird.....

Back