PDA

View Full Version : Sun 'n Fun

RBM
03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Having grown tired of shoveling snow and minus 40 temps I booked tickets on the tin crow.....destination Tampa. We plan to do some of the tourist stuff such as Alligator Alley, Disney, Cape Canaveral, but want at least two days at Sun 'n Fun. Am I correct in assuming that Sat. and Sunday are busier than week days? Thoughts on making the most of the experience? Any recommendations on motels, other things that are "must see"? My search did not show any threads on the topic, did I misfire?

Thanks for any guidance!

Fortysix12
03-11-2009, 10:50 PM
For the best experience to see the most plan on experiencing sun and fun on the second and third day. It's at full tilt and nobody has left yet. Sunday at the end is a bust. Winter Haven is close enough and a nice town. Tampa is 45 to 50 min drive so better deals might be had there but the smaller towns would be a better choice. Most all hotels are dealing and I would call the hotel direct as well on on line for the best deals. Many Hotel managers are doing what ever they can to sell rooms. Might want to consider Fantasy Of Flight as well located in Polk City.

Skip
03-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Lynne and I always stay at Winter Haven, rooms in Lakeland are out of sight during that week. I will be there the second and third days as well. If you are going to Disney be sure to go to Epcot and ride Soarin it`s a blast and I won`t tell you any more. We go every December and I never miss that ride. If you can get a dinner at Ohana at Disney that ain`t bad either.

Iflylower
03-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Best days are before the crowds get there, so prob day two or three. Best airshows are the weekends, but the week is good too. Good luck.

Steve Pierce
03-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Cathy and I are planning on driving again this year since the Pacer is sold and the Clipper and Super Cub are not flying. We get there the weekend before and leave Sat. morning. Haven't been to Fantasy of Flight in several years but it is a neat place. If anybody needs anything hauled down let me know. It is a great week spent with good people and some awesome airplanes. It is also a week I get to spend hanging out with my Mom and Dad looking at airplanes. :D

mvivion
03-12-2009, 07:46 AM
I've been down there seven or eight times, and will miss it this year :cry: . Great show.

I second or third the notion of finding a hotel in Winter Haven, and no closer. Rooms are half the price and twice the quality of many in Lakeland. From Winter Haven, take the Polk tollway to LAL each day. Saves a lot of getting lost, and driving around through towns. Costs a couple bucks, but MUCH easier, and no traffic.

Any day at Sun N Fun is great. I too would prefer mid show, however as others have noted.

MTV

floats
03-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Several pilots, especially from the seaplane crowd, stay with us here at Oak Harbor. We have waterfront cabins and RV sites, you can fly in on floats, or drive in. We're just outside of Winter Haven, and about 25 miles to Disney. Boats and kayaks for rent on the lake. On the Jacksonville or Miami sectional, Oak Harbor SPB (FA73), six miles NE of Winter Haven (GIF). And about the same by air to the Sun n' Fun splashin at Fantasy of Flight.
www.oakharbor-rv.com
877-956-1341 toll free

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/Fly_In_for_Cabins_at_Oak_Harbor_2.JPG

oldbaldguy
03-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I journeyed to S&F last year from Georgia. Attended mid week. Since I've been to my share of these things, I stayed only one day and that was plenty. Spent almost the entire time looking at airplanes and going thru the commercial/display hangars. Didn't bother with the airshow. You can get almost anything you might need on site, altho fluids and food are expensive as is admission -- very expensive lemonade from roving peddlers; burger and tea was $10 or better. I recommend a stout rucksack of some sort because all those free catalogs, magazines, tee-shirts, caps, promo material, etc, get really heavy by the end of the day. No later than mid-week is best because the people working the booths get grumpy by the end of the week. Like I said the airshow is a duplicate of just about any airshow you'll see anywhere in the country, but the trade show part has everything from aviation art to zulu headsets. Since we're talking about south central Florida, hot is the operative word, so dress accordingly and use sunscreen. No shorts and black sox please.

Iflylower
03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Food is much better than OSH. I like shopping during the big shows too, because everyone is outside watching and staying out of your way. I like a good airshow and watch many, but I don't need everyone, everyday. Like I said, avoid crowds. Midweek.

Best sched.
Do a seminar or hands-on seminar early.
Wander the warbirds while everyone is shopping.
Shop during the airshows.
Wander the antiques when everyone is done shopping and back at their plane around 5-7 so they can chat about their plane.
Eat, drink beer and tell war/flying stories about 7ish or whatever is the last hour before they close.
Go to bed early, so you can get up early and do it again.
Bring (and use) your sunscreen.

You'll be the most productive visitor there. :D

I prefer camping, because I like outdoors, tents and sleeping bags more than I like traffic, rental cars, parking and hotels. I've seen enough hotels for three lifetimes.... If I'm travelling with my wife...I love hotels. :D

Skip
03-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Steve what dates are you gonna be there?

Mathew Sharp
03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I'll be there for the duration as well! EI rented a big ole house with a pool, may have to throw a BBQ one night!

Whom ever makes it, come say hi!

Matt

Steve Pierce
03-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Steve what dates are you gonna be there?

We are planning on arriving Sat or Sun and depart Fri or Sat. I have a Shortwingpiper.org forum to do on Wed at 10 am. Will be around my Dad's red Clipper in the Vintage area most of the time.

Skip
03-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I just sent you a pm

cubdriver2
03-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I can't go.If I send some of you a list of the parts that I am in need of, can you pick them up and pay for them. Also, how big is your credit limit I'm also in the market for a new cub, maybe something in yellow :lol:

Glenn

jnorris
03-13-2009, 09:38 AM
I'll be at Sun N Fun all week, so anyone who's there should stop at the EAA tent/building and say "hi". Or attend one of my forums and say "hi" before or after.

I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Cheers!

RBM
03-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Thank you all for the tips and info. I was disappointed to hear about shorts and black socks not being the style, but I guess I can repack.....

Cheers, Rob.

Cajun Joe
03-14-2009, 09:26 AM

. .:cry:

Steve Pierce
03-14-2009, 09:36 AM
We need to have another Super Cub gathering like we did last year. Charlie, Donald, Rick, Wilbur, Joe, John, Jeff, Jason and some more of those southern guys whom I have unfortunately momentarily forgot their names. :oops:

Phillip Elgin
03-14-2009, 09:52 AM
talked to charlie and donald this week and they are pretty much set on going. have not talked to rick or wilbur so maybe they will chime in on thier plans.

SteveE
03-14-2009, 09:58 AM
talked to charlie and donald this week and they are pretty much set on going. have not talked to rick or wilbur so maybe they will chime in on thier plans.

:evil:

Steve Pierce
03-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Phillip, I had your face and accent in mind but couldn't remember your name. :oops: My bad. Looking forward to another gathering. Maybe we can teach them Yankees how to talk right. :lol: :wink:

Steve Pierce
03-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Who wrecked the Super Cub? :drinking: Charlie probably needs a break from it all, come back from S&F and be re-energized. :lol:

Phillip Elgin
03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
steve, i think he will be finished with your project by then. :lol:

behindpropellers
03-14-2009, 10:13 AM

I heard that Charlie is going to spend a whole month down there this year!!

FdxLou
03-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Sorry I will miss all you fellow "Southern Boys"....Kathy and I will be in the South of Hawaii.

Lou

OLDCROWE
03-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Who wrecked the Super Cub? :drinking: Charlie probably needs a break from it all, come back from S&F and be re-energized. :lol:

Personally, I think Charles has earned a nice LONG rest... I'm thinking he should go for the ENTIRE run of the show... then take a few days to a week on each end... You know for Disney and Universal City... need to go check out Margaretaville, House of Blues and such!

8)

SteveE
03-14-2009, 02:11 PM

An F-4 tornado wrecked it,,, I just happened to be sitting in it at the time. :o

So therefore I should qualify for a little sympathy from all you guys,,,
Think I will join Lou in Hawaii.

And Phillip.... U are full of the ole southern BS!! :)

Charlie Aileron
03-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Come on down Eaton. You got a j-3 you can fly. We will save you a spot in the Vintage area. I got to have a break. These hanger walls are closing in on me. Don't believe Phillip, we are shooting for Johnson Creek.

Charlie Aileron
03-14-2009, 03:34 PM
On second thought, I will commit to having your plane ready for Sun-n-fun. I just won't promise which year! 8)

Charlie Aileron
03-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Come on down Eaton. You got a j-3 you can fly. We will save you a spot in the Vintage area. I got to have a break. These hanger walls are closing in on me. Don't believe Phillip, we are shooting for Johnson Creek.

OldCuby
03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry too that I'll not be visiting S 'n F this spring. I had a great time last year except for all the racket into the night at Charlie Aileron Crimson Cub. Wilbur, Rick, etc. were at it telling loud war stories between sips while I and friends were sacked out next door under the wing of the red Stinson. I thought I was dreaming NH! I joined on another day with the gang and with Cajun Joe at Oak Harbor with BBQ and drink after splashing around with Brian in his float SC.

I had the wife talked into going this year if we could rent a cabin for the week at Oak Harbor. Unfortunately, I learned that Brian of Adventure Seaplanes will not be operating with his SC at Oak Harbor this year so that killed the main reason for staying there as nice as it is - Cajun Joe's secret!

I'm jealous of Lou - Are you traveling to Hawaii first class crate on FedEx again?

Cheers,
Jim

SteveE
03-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I heard you the first time. :lol:

Steve-N1964S
03-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm planning on leaving Tuesday and staying thru Friday or
Saturday. I think Jerry Black is coming with me in his 7GCBC. Lou, we'll miss your smiling face but at least we'll have someone to talk about :-)).

Steve

Flying Miss Daisy
03-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Eaton you better give Charlie a break I think he is developing a stutter. :lol:
Pierce what do you mean you need to teach us Northern Boys how to speak.....Just because I finish my sentence in the time it takes you to start out with "Wellllll...... does not mean I need speech lessons :wink:
Y'all have a nice day now yahear :lol: :morning:

Josh
03-15-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm sorry too that I'll not be visiting S 'n F this spring. I had a great time last year except for all the racket into the night at Charlie Aileron Crimson Cub. Wilbur, Rick, etc. were at it telling loud war stories between sips while I and friends were sacked out next door under the wing of the red Stinson. Jim

Was that you parked ahead of me last year, I had the green and cream J-4 one row back. Those Stinsons (2) were pretty!

Someone collapsed the tent on us at 2 A.M. and zipped tied the zippers closed! What a mess.

Steve Pierce
03-15-2009, 09:30 AM
but John, we keep having to turn around. :lol:

Jim, I know what you mean. I think Rick is a bad influence on Wilbur. :o Next time camp next to Cathy and I. We crash at 9 pm. No wild parties for us. :lol:

Looking forward to it. Lee is wearing me out wanting to go. As I hear it he wears his grandmother out the week we are gone. :crazyeyes: :lol:

Cajun Joe
03-18-2009, 08:05 PM
:lol:

... :D :lol: :lol:

supergoose
03-19-2009, 10:02 PM
While at Sun and Fun don't forget to visit Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight; it's just up the road and a real treat for all who love aviation.

CubLite
04-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Who is still going? Weather permitting I plan on being there late Wednesday, the 22nd in the C180 and hope to camp in the vintage camping area. Be there thru Friday pm then up to a C180-185 Flyin about 70 miles north Sat and Sun, then meandering up the coast to the Boston area with a couple of stops in between, before trying to get to the Pocono's Fly-in @ 50PA the following weekend before heading back to the Midwest. Any suggestions on must sees or stops en route?

Pat

fadec
04-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Planning on Thursday-Saturday. We usually camp at the VOR.

Steve I plan on paying off my debt!

Steve Pierce
04-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Cathy got us tickets on a burner for $79 each way. We will be there Sat. and leave Sat so probably be at S&F Sat afternoon through Friday afternoon. I am doing a forum for Short Wing Pipers at 10:00 am Wed and should be back and forth from my Dad's Red Clipper in the Ant/Classic area. Looking forward to it. I just gotta get all my rats killed between now and next Sat. :wink:

Skip
04-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Cathy got us tickets on a burner for $79 each way. We will be there Sat. and leave Sat so probably be at S&F Sat afternoon through Friday afternoon. I am doing a forum for Short Wing Pipers at 10:00 am Wed and should be back and forth from my Dad's Red Clipper in the Ant/Classic area. Looking forward to it. I just gotta get all my rats killed between now and next Sat. :wink:

Steve I will see you at your forum Wed morning to pick up the metal grommets. Thanks again Skip