• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuselage Covering Envelope

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
Any suggestions or tips on how to improve the installation of a fuselage envelope. The one I have was purchased from Aircraft Spruce. Looks straight forward but will be he first one I've installed.

Fortysix12 said:
Any suggestions or tips on how to improve the installation of a fuselage envelope. The one I have was purchased from Aircraft Spruce. Looks straight forward but will be he first one I've installed.

I have watched a couple of fuselages get covered in the blanket method, why not do it that way??

I think the only advantage is that you have the curved seam sewn @ the tail leading edge.

Other than that I think you're better off with a roll of material. I was a bit hesitant to make a seam ahead of the vert.stab. where my fuselage material joined the (separate) tail material, but since I could easily access both sides it was easy to make a wide glue joint. That was all covered with a 4" tape so no worries about separation there!!

I was tempted to buy a sock too, but was advised that the fit required it to be split & seamed anyway. Besides, I like the idea of the fabric being attached @ all 4 longerons.

Back