• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I have an airplane again (instead of a project)

NimpoCub

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital o
A year ago as of Nov. 5th she went in to get stripped down.

in_she_goes.jpg

Yesterday she came out better 'n new, to get the big pieces put back on.

out_a_the_shop.jpg

Big pieces on, now just some tiddling & we'll be making airplane noises over Nimpo Lake ... YeeHaw!!

almost_done.jpg

looking good......

Looking Really Nice down there...... is it lighter?

If you run out of things to do, I have one just starting !
could always use a hand, sure dont want you to get bored....

Great Job !!

paul

Re: looking good......

glaciercub said:
is it lighter?

Yeah it is, but I didn't have the forethought to weigh 'er "before". Much of the fabric was doubled (patched patches) and paint was so thick you could hardly see the tape edges in some places. Took out the battery & box/plywood behind the bulkhead & over 6' of that heavy cable. New orange battery under the seat. Floorboards were noticeably heavier than new (same) ply. Tiny alternator, lightweight starter to come. Most 1/8 plexi replaced with 1/16 lexan. (& etc...)

Will attempt to weigh all 3 wheels on the snow, but will haft'a do it (properly) on the level concrete sometime later. For now, I just wanna see that my CG is kinda close to being safe. :)

It's -30 here this morn so we put off finishing until we will be able to operate a screwdriver out there. Also, I got bucked off the snowmobile yesterday & my knee hurts bad this morn. Mary says if it's a tendon it will be several weeks.
Damn.

Paul, if I EVER get bored, I don't think I'd consider another restoration as "something to do". :)

Back