PDA

View Full Version : Headset jack location

JayH
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Me again. Can you tell I'm back in the shop? Anyway, wanting some ideas on locations to install the headset jacks. I want to stay away from the cords sticking out the front of the panel. Reading through some old threads, I see some don't like the cord hanging from the wing root panel either, always swinging in the way. I guess I'm looking for different applications that have been done and the pros and cons to a high mount vs low mount. As always, Thanks.

Jay

Ruidoso Ron
02-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Jay,
On my recent rebuild, we moved the jacks to the bottom of the fairing that covers the throttle quadrants. Therefore, the plugs are now almost flush against the side of the cabin, facing up.

JayH
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I looked at that too Ron. That looks like a strong possibility, however my tunnel is pretty tight. I think I can get them in there with some kind of insulation around the leads as not to ground them on the metal tunnel. Would you have a photo by chance?

Thanks,
Jay

Ruidoso Ron
02-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Not handy, but I'll see if I can take one this weekend.

mvivion
02-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Jay,

That location (under the throttle cover) is my favorite too. I get tired of always having them swinging around in my face when in the wing root...

MTV

iamcamper
02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Jay,
The J-5 I rent has the jack for the front seat just below the panel on the right side. At first it seemed a pain but it works well as I can tuck the headset cord under the seat belt and keep the slack out of the way. This is where I will likely put mine as well. As for the rear seat I was thinking of putting the jack in the back of the throttle quadrant cover so they plug straight in and lay flat with the interior paneling. I figured that might be a good way to close that open end off nice and neat.
I haven't read through the old threads so maybe this isn't anything new.
ted

garyh
02-13-2009, 09:13 PM
I agree with RON except point them down.

NimpoCub
02-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I put mine in the wing root behind the fuel sight glass, and plan to clamp them a bit farther back, or to the X-brace so they stay behind my shoulder. The headset cord is long enough to fasten it out'a the way.

Test flight next week sometime so will see 'bout that!
Oh, by the way ... YeeHaw!!

Ruidoso Ron
02-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I agree with RON except point them down.

Well, that's what I really meant to say. The jacks point down, and the plugs plugs point up. Keeps the wires pretty neat, and out of the way.

JayH
02-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the great responses guys. I'll take a look at the throttle cover again. I think I can squeeze them in there.
Ted, that was my original idea for the back seat jacks and think I'll revisit that plan. Looks like the general consensus is to keep them low and out of the way.
Logan, best of luck with the test flight, keep us posted.
Ron, that would be great, picture is worth a thousand words as the old saying goes, thanks again.

Jay

NimpoCub
02-14-2009, 12:19 PM
general consensus is to keep them low and out of the way.
Logan, best of luck with the test flight, keep us posted.

Hello, my name is General Consensus (Call me Con, as I don't have much census).
I figger that low leaves too much possibility in getting twangled in the pedal, seatbelt, trim crank, etc.

I have an external GPS antenna (thanks again Ron!!) mounted on my X-brace, & I'm thinking that that will be a good thing to hang the headset cord over, leaving just enough slack to turn my head.

Test flight:: If I post, it was a successful flight! :)

PilotMikeTx
03-12-2009, 12:12 AM
You might try an overhead (wing root, cross member or longeron) mount with a coiled cord headset. These are typically called "helicopter" headsets and a lot of time come with U-174 "military-type" connectors instead of the dual GA type. The "panel powered" ANR headsets from Bose and DC use a 10-pin connector, so it's not an issue. Bose makes a "battery powered, dual plug, coiled cord" replacement cord. And Lightspeed's new Zulu has a coiled cord model available now.

I used to teach aerobatics and have a bit of time sitting in the back of a Super Decathlon getting hit in the face with a 5 foot straight cord, so I've had plenty of time to ponder the alternatives. I've also caught my cord on the flap handle, seat and slammed it in the door. I'll be the first person to buy the first wireless "Bluetooth Headset and Intercom" when someone gets around to making one.

mvivion
03-12-2009, 06:51 AM
I've flown a few thousand hours with headset jacks mounted up under the throttle panel, and have never found it problematic with tangles, etc.

On the other hand, I've also spent a lot of time flying with ones mounted in the wing root, and never adapted to the dang things dangling in my face every time I looked left. This is probably a personal thing, but one of the great things about these little airplanes is the visibility out of them. Why would you want to hang stuff in the way of that great visibility?

MTV

JayH
03-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Ended up putting mine in the throttle cover.

NimpoCub
03-12-2009, 11:19 PM
ones mounted in the wing root, and never adapted to the dang things dangling in my face every time I looked left.

Mine's in the left wing root, I hang the cord over the (new) X-brace & keep it dangling back near the shoulder harness. Works well fer me. The only "prob" is the cord coming out'a the bottom of the left ear pod hits my shoulder (winter gear). Haven't thought to look at how to bend/hold that up yet.

My Cub flies great!! I reversed the front stick (bend forward) and it's more comfy, the way my hand lays there. I just have the 8" panel so it just fits under nicely. It's morther fun pulling on it anyway! :)

Have a couple snowmobile buds visiting from the coast so have been trying to keep them entertained. After a couple -30C days it's up to a balmy 0 to -10C again. I love winter but anxious for spring too!

supercub24a
03-13-2009, 08:56 PM
i myself like them in the left wing root slightly behind the front back seat but if you do put them in the throttle panel i would mount them so the headset jacks mount so you plug them in forward i have seen them fall out when mounted upside down
Steve

mvivion
03-13-2009, 09:49 PM
If your headset plugs fall out of an upside down jack, replace the jack. You can "tighten" the fit of the plugs by removing and bending the jack prongs a bit as well.

No reason a plug should EVER fall out of a jack.

MTV

Crosswater36
03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I bought a flush mounted jack from AC Spruce and mounted it up against the left panel under the inst. panel...wires hang down out of the way.

JayH
05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Here is what I ended up with, should work out O.K.http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/copilot_jacks_and_PTT.JPG

mvivion
05-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Jay,

Nice clean layout. I think you'll find that is a really nice setup, particularly if you use an ANR headset that has a battery box. Think cords dangling in your face is fun?? Try cords with a battery box.

Spending waaaaayyyy too much time in the back seat of one of those with the plugs in the wing root.

And, that location just sucks, especially if you sit in the back.

MTV

bob turner
05-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I have thousands of hours in the back seat with cords plugged in to the left wing root. Only problem is if they get all twisted up, otherwise I really never know they are there. Ya gotta wind them around a tube behind your head. I'm with Nimpo on this one.

HandsSlowLow
11-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Also you may want to try getting a small aluminum electrical box from Radio Shack? Mount this on the area behind the sigh (sight) gages. Put the jack in the box facing down. You can paint it to match the interior if you want.

This keep the jacks out of potential moisture and faces them down from above.

HandsSloLow

Steve's Aircraft (Brian)
11-27-2009, 02:07 AM
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs169.snc1/6336_133300712032_773657032_2966641_1332054_n.jpg

Recessed jack mount from AC Spruce, mounted in the throttle quadrant. Works good and keeps the cables out of the way.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/graphics/11-01140_2.jpg

We drilled the corners and mounted them with black instrument screws.

Brian.

Indabush
11-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Nice layout brian, where did you put your PTT switch?

mvivion
11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Bob Turner wrote: "I have thousands of hours in the back seat with cords plugged in to the left wing root. Only problem is if they get all twisted up, otherwise I really never know they are there. Ya gotta wind them around a tube behind your head. I'm with Nimpo on this one."

Bob, What tubing do you wrap the cables around in the back seat? Only place I've found is directly overhead, and you still wind up with wires hanging in your face....got a picture?

I like Brian's solution even better than under the side panel.

MTV

Steve's Aircraft (Brian)
11-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Indabush

Pilot PTT in on top of the stick with quick disconnect plugs on the bottom. Passenger PTT is a micro switch on top of the throttle quadrant, will have to get a pic of the rear and post it next week, right now I am enjoying a 4 day weekend... :D