• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alton bay N.H. winter fest and sebago lake Me. derby flyin.

pzinck

western,me
A bunch of other pilots from different forums are planning on attending the winter carnival and land on the ice runway, any cub.orgers going? I know its no big deal for us to land on ice, but maybe a good time for us northeasters to meet up? Ny boys, john meade from the wad, some mainers? http://www.airnav.com/airport/B18 It is feb 15th.

Alton bay winter carnival?

Phil I am going as long as the weather cooperates.Look forward to meeting up.

Bill

Phil, I was planning on going, Cliff said it was on the 14th, we gotta get the date figured out

Tim

Alton bay winter carnival?

Maybe Cliff was thinking of the ski-plane fly-in on the 14th at Sanford.Could be a busy weekend :D

Bill

Hi Phil,
I was up to Shin Pond Camp over the weekend and stopped overnight in China. I believe a few of the folks from the club were over to the derby on Sheepscot. One sounded like Jim Crane.

I am headed to Graham for that week so I will not be over to Alton.
John

FMD:

Nope wasnt me, I was up to Moosehead Lake mooching venison and other fish house dining specialties in my friends fishhouse. Way too much slush on the big lake, thought I was done for at one point. Never seen so much overflow there before. When the holes are drilled, it the water just gushes up and over. Too much snow weight I guess. When it is freezing up this week the sled tracks are just hell on planes. Im up for Alton Bay Phil, I thought it was Sat the 14. Sanford is having pancake breakfast that day, I thought it was the same day. One of us will have to sort it out this week, dont want to miss the distinguished gentleman from NY.

Also heard thru the grapevine the locals are cooking Sat noon at Old Town. Missed the last one danged snowstorm.

Jim

A couple other forums indicating the 15th as well as this link from alton. http://www.alton.nh.gov/calendardetail.asp?ID=2685 . Anyhow, would be good to hook up with you guys. It would be nicer to go to the pierces with john, but that isnt going to happen this year. I havent been able to do much flying , so really itching to get out. I think dan dufault, jim rogers and douten plus others were over to sheepscot.

it's definitely the 15th - I did a couple of google searches a month ago and somehow got the date wrong. I'm going to bring every pilot in Maine if I can - so expect a crowd.
Now we need a firm date on the Dunn Boys flyin - last I heard it was last weekend in Feb.
cliff in Maine

For anyone interested the Alton Bay ice runway is open.There are two phone numbers for info. (603-875-3498) automated with current status.(603-455-7817) for more info.Updates also here www.skyhavennh.com/

Bill

fly in

Just talked to Jimmy Rogers he said he thought Sebago was the 21st talked about Alton Bay he sounds up for it. we went to Sheepscott last week-end had nine or ten planes in, Mike Allen and myself were the oddballs with straight skis, Phil I will talk to you before hand but you need to give me about an hour head start for the same arrival. will talk to Dave L , Chris, Dennis, Perry, Mike F and others. can't forget Keith I think he found something to keep him busy for the winter.

Hi Douten,
So it was you. Came down from camp at Shin on Sunday to watch the game and the fellow that was running the derby for the club was telling me there was a gaggle of Supercubs and stuff up there.
Sorry I am going to miss Alton bay but I am in Graham.
John

I'm up for anything just want to go fly. Anyone going out today? The wx doesn't get better than this in Feb. Danny, I've been busy but it's always been fun. Anyone bombing around today call me 252-6630
keith

menendez777 said:
I'm up for anything just want to go fly. Anyone going out today? The wx doesn't get better than this in Feb. Danny, I've been busy but it's always been fun. Anyone bombing around today call me 252-6630
keith
Hey keith any tie downs at twitchells? I am thinking about bringing the 185 down there for awhile. With those wheel penetration skis my strip is a bear to turn around the plane and get out. Would be much easier to leave down there for spring flying. They got a pre heater u can rent? Really miss the cub for ski flying, it's coming along though.

talked to Phil today after getting back from Alton Bay. Ice is in great shape, 80' wide I believe with a taxiway on the east side. Monitered 122.8 on the way SOUTH. Had a 30knot headwind the entire way SOUTH and guys coming up from Conn., RI, MA and NH are landing to the north after they have experienced a significant tailwind. If you decide to go to Alton Bay, PLEASE overfly the lake and note the direction of wind from the several American flags in the cove. The guys in mooneys and cherokee 140 treated me like a black sheep today because my landing and takeoff were into the wind. Hard to believe that the blind is following the blind. I think I'll pack a cooler of beer next weekend to watch this show!

I know exactly what you are talking about.I have seen it many times especially at fly-ins where one after another will operate contrary to the wind.At a recent safety seminar on Take-offs and Landings sponsored by a well known aviation association I brought this very subject up to the presenter.Not one time in the whole seminar did he bring up the subject of being aware of the wind and he just kind of blew it off like it really didn't matter!This after showing films of planes landing long,running into trees at the end of the runway because they were not climbing,etc.NEVER mentioned the windsock at all.

Bill

Re: Alton bay N.H. winter fest and sebago lake Me. derby fly

willyb said:
I know exactly what you are talking about.I have seen it many times especially at fly-ins where one after another will operate contrary to the wind.At a recent safety seminar on Take-offs and Landings sponsored by a well known aviation association I brought this very subject up to the presenter.Not one time in the whole seminar did he bring up the subject of being aware of the wind and he just kind of blew it off like it really didn't matter!This after showing films of planes landing long,running into trees at the end of the runway because they were not climbing,etc.NEVER mentioned the windsock at all.

Bill
Hey willy, where tom( seaworthy)? You think you could coax him up to alton if the weather allows us a rendesvous? Really hoping things fall in place.

fly in

Hi Tim, Haven't talked with anyone yet but would like to get in around 11:00 at the latest. I have the week-end off so the weather will probably be bad. Talked to Mike F he has to work will be talking to Dave shortly. Hope to see all there.

Well i feel a cold coming on cough cough,(i have to work next weekend) and i think my father and i will be coming. What time ya'll gonna be there?

Tom

Re: fly in

Douten said:
Hi Tim, Haven't talked with anyone yet but would like to get in around 11:00 at the latest. I have the week-end off so the weather will probably be bad. Talked to Mike F he has to work will be talking to Dave shortly. Hope to see all there.
If the weather is good probably should get there no later than that. I hear on good years there can be upwards of 75 to 100 planes show up. How big is their plowed parking areas? For us guys on skis, if they are full, is there room for ski planes off to the side ,or is it loaded with cars and ice shacks? Jim, do you think u can make it? Would be good to see you tom and your dad, willy b and others from down that way. Lot's of chatter on other forums, so looks like a big flyin. Cliff are alot of the twitchells crew going?

Phil:

Planning on going at this point. Looks like Sanford skiplane flyin is on Saturday Feb 14, and Alton Bay Sunday Feb 15. Is there any sort of restuarant we can meet at and have lunch? I havent been there in years
Hope the wx cooperates on Sun.

Jim

Phil I spoke with Tom this morning he probably won't make it.Have to figure out how to get together there.

Bill

I'm on straight skis and would prefer to land on snow. I wonder if you can land off the runway somewhere and taxi to the event. When I land on the ice with any wind, around airplanes I get nervous.

Tim

Hey Tim,
I believe the lake is about 20 miles long. There must be 300 feet of snow on it somewhere for you to land. It has a designator B18 so if you look it up on Airnav the snow strip should be identified.
I am on the way to Grahamon Friday and from what I understand after 81* on Saturday my chances of ski flying are .....nill :drinking:

John, I called up there. The guy said it melted yesterday and refroze and
the runway is smooth glare ice. He also said some guys do land in the snow along side the runway. That's for me.

Tim
P.S. What in the world do want to go to Texas for,
with all that heat. Stay up here in the cold, it will
make you a better person. :lol:

Timothy Timothy,
There is a well kept secret about Graham called Clayton's Bar B Q. The beef is spicy and the Women are hot. Not to mention SJ lets me land his 35's on the Brazos River sand Bars.
I know I am not as tough a winter Yankee as you are but I have always said that when I grow up I want to be you :p
John

Alton Bay

Hi Phil, talked to Perry, Dave, Jimmy, Keith, and Mike. Dave and Perry are going to be in Naples Saturday night (maybe with planes) I guess Mike talked to Keith and he plans to go Sunday. You and Keith will probably meet up at Twitchell's and head over. If DAVE and Perry are going I will probably try to meet them and fly over with them and maybe Jimmy and who ever he has going, If not I will fly straight over, should be about an hour and fifteen or so for me. Talk to you at the end of the week

Back