• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trip to Redfish point

Evan

Gonzales LA
The weather was great today :lol: so out to the coast we went
extended_bagage.JPG

We were going to a little island about 7 or 8 miles of the coast but we had to cross a lot of marsh to get to the gulf

Was a great flight over to the gulf the open water ahead
last_land.JPG

just about the time you get to the gulf you can see the island
redfish_point.JPG

Now lance had a good eye and spoted some reds on the east side of the island so thats the spot

evan_and_lance_on_whisky_island.JPG

4316h_on_whisky.JPG

CIMG1047.JPG

10_reds.JPG

You are lucky guys, If we come down will you give us a tour.

Evan your Cub will be getting lonesome for Oklahoma on May 22-24, both you and Lance come on up and be sure to bring your poles.

Mike

Mike we would love to have you come down and do some south louisiana flying , we sure will bring ya out to the islands and feed you well. and me and Lance or planing the ok18 trip. looking forward to the trip up and ill sure bring my poles

Alright we are coming down sometime, it's just a matter of when.

Call Perry and ask him how the fishing looks around here, he showed up a week ago with some guys from Arkansas for the fly-in lunch. You know he sure doesn't sound like he's from Arkansas.

See you guys on Memorial Day weekend, some of the Ponca City guys will be here, they will remember your Cub.

Lance, keep him out of trouble.

Mike

Where (approx) were you fishing, I've been to Buras LA., on a Red Fish trip a few years ago and it was a hoot! Lance you may have a bunch of Okie's coming to visit...

Kirby

MIKE, STEVE ,KIRBY..AND WHO EVER ELSE WANTS TO PLAN THE TRIP , GET THE DATE AND WELL HEAD OUT . KIRBY ITS THE TIMBALIER ISLANDS JUST OFF THE COAST OF COCODRIE OR ABOUT 20 MILES WEST OF GRAND ISLE IF YOU GOOGLE EARTH IT. IT 69 MILES SOUTH OF HOME BASE (L38)

trip to redfish point

Is it firm enough sand to land a 185 there with 850's, have a j-3 but that would be a long trip, i land at golden meadow a good bit in the 185 and drive down to grand isle where i keep a tuna boat

I need some time to get my legs back under me, how about just before or after Easter, or ?

Interesting Grande Isle where duckhunter keeps a tuna boat
and
Grande Isle (OK18) is my home airport in NE Oklahoma

The sand is hard ,I think you could land a 180 on it . i have 26 Goodyear's and they didn't even leave a mark in the sand at the tail wheel sank about and 1"

Mike , April sounds good ether weekend would work for me .
lance should be putting his opinion in shortly

Duck if your down this way give me a shout and well take a ride in the cub from l38 to go look at them 1st and check the fish

I say ya'll just decide when is the best time for you and let us know. I have a new future aviator due to be born at the end of March or first of April, but I should be able to slip away when momma's not looking. Other than that I could go pretty much anytime.

We may try to go again this weekend and see if we can get on them again. I am not a pro fisherman and when I go it's hit or miss. Not sure about these particular islands because I have never fished them before. So we shall see.

Evan and I may go explore further east to see if we can land and fish around Venice, LA. (Sport fishing heaven).

Duckhunter, Some of the old timers used to due this sort of thing back in the day with all sorts of plane types. I used to fly a heavy 180, and I would be puckered up if I was landing it on the island. For the most part the sand is nice and hard. I have seen a few spots that were softer. I believe if we scouted a spot for you it would be quite doable, just being overly cautious as usual. Come to think of it, I was pretty puckered up when I first started experimenting in the cub :eek: :D Now its no big deal. You may be good with the 185 off airport, but I never did any off airport in the 180 other than grass.

"IDEA" Instead of having the Miss. River get together like I have been wanting to do we could do it on the coast. Only problem is the mosquito's down there have fangs :lol: Maybe we could just use L38 as home base and explore to the north and south!! What you think Evan??

Lance

trip to redfish point

should be doable in the 185, i have some gar aero's i've been planning of puttin on anyway,were you down there at high tide? should be some good landing spots on shell island and some others east of venice, there is a good strip at port sulphur that is used by the fish spotters, the older gent that owns it lives at the end(ww2 pilot)

Evan, great pix, great idea, I carry snowshoes on the jury struts all winter, but never thought about putting the poles out there when on floats, thank you. I'm tired of the only thing that I hook some days is my self when it gets bumpy.

Glenn

trip to redfish point

Lance, from your pics the sand looks a good bit cleaner and brighter than what they have on the beach at grand isle

Wow! That is a fantastic looking trip.

I've fished from a skiff out of Buras, but that looks a bit more fun.

Another fun day on the coast, but the fishing was not that good.

lance

100_8246.jpg

100_8245.jpg

How do I make the pics bigger?

You have to enlarge them prior to getting the address. i.e. double click on the small picture so it gets larger, then go to properties and copy the URL. Hope this helps. Looks like fun. Great photos.

Bill

100_8246.jpg

100_8245.jpg

100_8243.jpg

100_8244.jpg

WHOA.. :eek: Lance and Evan,,,,,

I am glad to see you are scouting out our trip... Thought you said first of March or so was best.... I plan on coming down for a weekend...maybe a couple more Okies as well.

I like the last picture - the one of the house on stilts. It has an ocean view from every window. :D

Looks like it's perfect for fishing off the porch, but it must be hard to get upstairs without getting your shoes wet.

Thanks Bill.

Tides are no problem for landing. The pics above were at high tide.

There was a mudline about 75 yards off shore where we saw plenty of Porpous (sp?) (Dolphin) patrolling. We could not reach out that far so our surf fishing was no good. The one red caught was in a canal on the back side of the island (behind the planes). Caught some hard head cats on the back side in calmer prettier water but no good fish.

Just behind the planes on the canal was a nice little shack that is high and dry. It would be a good camping spot but is locked up like fort knox!

I think Late Feb or March would be good. No mosquitoes at that time but not many specks either. Would probably be mostly reds. Evan and I are just catching with some luck. Not being "superstar anglers" we just have to move around to different spots that look good.

We went exploring some other islands yesterday after we quit fishing and saw a nice spot that had a cut that went from the surf to the back of the island that I bet would have produced a few fish but we did not stop. Saw a sailboat sunk in the surk and a fish washed up on the beach that would not have fit in the cub :eek: . Kinda looked like a massive tuna?

The guy that caught that red had never been out there and only his 3rd time in a plane. He had a blast.

Lance

Breakfast_speculator_001_-_Copy.JPG

Lance, you and Evan come on up here and you can go ice fishing. Today, 50 mile vis. sun and 20deg. perfect

img_0215.jpgimg_0218.jpgimg_0220.jpgAnother fun trip to the coast

Attachments

• img_0220.jpg
    img_0220.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 186
  • img_0218.jpg
    img_0218.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 158
  • img_0215.jpg
    img_0215.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
Wow,
Patty tried on some waders as Bass Pro the other day & asked me "when we going"

Tim
They are mighty mighty good, plus shirmp & oysters all you want to eat while you are down there. If they catch enough we might see if they want to bring um for Fri night instead of Catfish at OK18 :lol:

Wow,
Patty tried on some waders as Bass Pro the other day & asked me "when we going"

Tim
They are mighty mighty good, plus shirmp & oysters all you want to eat while you are down there. If they catch enough we might see if they want to bring um for Fri night instead of Catfish at OK18 :lol:
Grilled Reds are fantastic but Mike, I want to watch YOU grill fish for that many!

I want to see the Cajuns up north in the snow. They complain when it is 50 degrees. It's all in the blood I guess. :)

Tim, like Kirby said, their good on the grill. You need to come on down. We have been trying to put something together with the Okies, but it has not worked out yet. we are shooting for March at this point.

Mike, Can't wait to see you and Patty. We are going to have fun. A bit tricky trying to get tides, weather, and wind to cooperate with a schedule :) but we will make it happen none the less.

Pierce, You are right, this old house gets pretty cold, I'm ready for spring!!!!

I ty Flies at BassPro on Sat., sometimes. If you go to Fly shop and ask for casting lessons. After lesson they used to give you a 10% discount on anything in Fly shop, FYI. I just made some Tan Decivers and Olive crab pattens for a friend that went to Rockport,Tx for Reds and Sea Trout. Did real well. La. is a place I have not Flyfished yet.

Back