• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Doncha hate welding with the "wrong" hand??!!

Iflylower

Memphis, TN
I spent WAY to much time trying to tack the left torque tube stop. The plane on a spit - locked stright up with a little play. On my knees, tig torch in my left hand (right handed), my feed wire in my right, running the "accel" pedel with my right knee. Magnet somewhat holding the awkward tube stop near place on a curved surface......... all I need is a dab of a tack to hold it.....Crunch. Something moves and throws it all off.

Pull helmeted head out of cage. Set down torch. Set down wire. Lift helmet. Take off mag glasses. take off gloves. Stabilize stop. set magnet. reset glasses. reset hood. put on left glove. set torch in left awkward hand. hold wire. put on right glove. set wire in right hand. move head into cage. try to get close to part. set torch near weld spot. lower hood. crunch something moved.

repeat! ahhhhhhhhghgggg! I love welding in "the zone." There was no zone tonight.

If I take one move chunk out of my head with the rear throttle hang down, I swear I'll....

God, I love working on planes.

you need to add looking into a mirror to try to weld behind something into the equation to really properly confuse your hands......

Don't scare me, I'm already on the edge.

I don't think I'll be adding in the mirror trick to my repertoire.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get away from the foot pedal amperage control and have it hooked to your brain and just think the adjustment. I think they have computers that paralyzed people can think into action. Seriously, I've thought about rigging up something that you could put between your teeth and vary by opening and closing your mouth----probably wouldn't be good for long runs if you drool though. :D

180Marty said:
Wouldn't it be nice if you could get away from the foot pedal amperage control and have it hooked to your brain and just think the adjustment. I think they have computers that paralyzed people can think into action. Seriously, I've thought about rigging up something that you could put between your teeth and vary by opening and closing your mouth----probably wouldn't be good for long runs if you drool though. :D

I think you would learn not to drool real quick. :oops:

This only works with a helper but one thing I do when I'm in one of those described positions is set the machine so the max amperage is only enough to barely weld. Then I can have anyone step on the pedal full and not turn the whole weld into a smelter. I then regulate with torch distance and speed. This technique still results in yelling at the wife on occasion. My ten yr. old son has already picked up on the technique of slowly rocking his foot on the pedal for me . I hate running the pedal with my knee. And left handed for me, forget it.

I hate technology,remember"KISS" keep it simple stupid! This is why the gas torch will always be king. Some times you need to go backwards,first, to go forward.

Glenn

This is where the Lift Arc feature on the Miller machines is a god send.
no pedal needed, just set the power. Touching the electrode starts the gas and lifting away starts the hf start.
DaveG

foot pedal contol is nice for bench work, however nothing beats a "thumb-slide" or "dial" on the torch for position work, this style torch is avilable at any welding shop and cost less than $100 bucks for a lite-duty air cooled.

also, auto-darkening helments make the entire experince much easier

I'm willing to bet any of you guys can weld better with your feet than I can with both hands and a coach :lol:

I'm right-handed and hold the torch (Oxy/Acetylene) in my right hand and filler rod in the left.

Doesn't everyone weld this way? I haven't ever tried it the other way.

I'm pretty fair with a 'stick' welder but, when I use a wire-feed, I keep trying to push the head towards the work, forgetting that the wire feeds all by itself.

Jon B.

Like I said," KISS ". Gas torch, no bulky, foggy,heavy,get in the way helmet. Heck with oxy/acetylene you can just use your sunglasses and look cool, your buddy's will think Tom Cruze welded it.

Glenn

MUCH better day today...I was back in the zone.

I can't believe how much difference a little rest, and come back later helps. I can definitely tell a difference in my welds. Especially, when doing something weird or awkward. Yesterday, my hand was shaking, today I made it work, pretty nice and steady.

I'd sure love a control that I could "think" it on...or squeeze my teeth it on. I'll get a slide control someday for the position work, especially when I'm on my knees or sitting. BUT, that's for my right hand, I couldn't imagine adding a thumbcontrol to my left hand when I'm already dumbthumbing to begin with. Right now, for as much welding as I do, it's not practical. I'd also like the nub holder for tighter spots.

I still love welding though...and I wish I could weld "prettier." I've ordered some parts from alaska airframes and just shake my head when I look at their pretty and perfect welds. I liked that cluster that Steve P. put up from his welder friend at AirTractor.

Cal

I know the feeling. Walk away and come back later. I tend to see things differently.

Cal, You can meet Clifford and Bill when you are here in Feb.

Welding

Hi there being a welder by trade this is what I have to do on every job and not only that we have to test - xray welds for every company, if the coupon or weld fails you are down the road kicking stones!

Just my 2 cents

I spent WAY to much time trying to tack the left torque tube stop. The plane on a spit - locked stright up with a little play. On my knees, tig torch in my left hand (right handed), my feed wire in my right, running the "accel" pedel with my right knee. Magnet somewhat holding the awkward tube stop near place on a curved surface......... all I need is a dab of a tack to hold it.....Crunch. Something moves and throws it all off.

Pull helmeted head out of cage. Set down torch. Set down wire. Lift helmet. Take off mag glasses. take off gloves. Stabilize stop. set magnet. reset glasses. reset hood. put on left glove. set torch in left awkward hand. hold wire. put on right glove. set wire in right hand. move head into cage. try to get close to part. set torch near weld spot. lower hood. crunch something moved.

repeat! ahhhhhhhhghgggg! I love welding in "the zone." There was no zone tonight.

If I take one move chunk out of my head with the rear throttle hang down, I swear I'll....

God, I love working on planes.
Haha this is an old post but I had to laugh. See my business card below

Attachments

• wronghand.jpg
    wronghand.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 96
Back