PDA

View Full Version : Battery Cable

Jim Miller
12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
For a exp Cub that will have a lightweight starter and no charging system is there any problem using a good quality commercial 4Gage wire to the starter versus a "aircraft" grade?

Thanks
Jim Miller

180Marty
12-11-2008, 09:27 AM
A friend of mine that was an IA/A and P used welding cable from the farm supply store on our Case IH combine to start a diesel engine. He bought a tool to crimp ends on.

behindpropellers
12-11-2008, 09:43 AM
For a exp Cub that will have a lightweight starter and no charging system is there any problem using a good quality commercial 4Gage wire to the starter versus a "aircraft" grade?

Thanks
Jim Miller

What is the difference in price? I think the tefzel has superior chaffing resistance.

Jim Miller
12-11-2008, 12:58 PM
BP
That's a good question. I haven't actually checked it out. Its just easy to stop by Lowe's and buy some commercial wire or auto store for battery cable. I will have to custom make anyway to get exact length's and was thinking if it would work safely it would be easier and somewhat cheaper.

mike mcs repair
12-11-2008, 01:26 PM
don't use welding cable..... common No-no

180Marty
12-11-2008, 02:24 PM
mike mcs repair wrote

don't use welding cable..... common No-no
I'm curious why it would work OK on a big combine and not an airplane.

lateralg
12-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Mike, other than not being certified hardware could you expound further on welding material being unsuitable. Thanks

Fortysix12
12-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Marine Cable works great. Protect with common sense like any installation. Fire sleeve firewall forward if you have some. West Marine sells it, some NAPA's do to.

behindpropellers
12-11-2008, 03:11 PM
BP
That's a good question. I haven't actually checked it out. Its just easy to stop by Lowe's and buy some commercial wire or auto store for battery cable. I will have to custom make anyway to get exact length's and was thinking if it would work safely it would be easier and somewhat cheaper.

I took a minute and looked up some stuff:

AC tefzel 2.99/foot

Mcmaster battery cable 3.33 a foot.

Marine 4 gauge 22.39 for 10 feet. from jamestown distributors

Jim Miller
12-11-2008, 03:40 PM
BP
Thanks. I looked in Wicks and 2 or 4 gage are about same prices as you found-both less than $3 per foot. Aircraft grade it will be. Is the crimping tools for wire this large easy to find? If not too expensive I would buy one.

Jim Miller

behindpropellers
12-11-2008, 03:44 PM
BP
Thanks. I looked in Wicks and 2 or 4 gage are about same prices as you found-both less than $3 per foot. Aircraft grade it will be. Is the crimping tools for wire this large easy to find? If not too expensive I would buy one.

Jim Miller

Might want to check with napa or other autoparts store....they would probably crimp the ends on for you.

Flying Miss Daisy
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi Jim,
From experience go with the #2 cable. I have a crimper for multiple size crimp ends I bought. It is a manual style with a ratchet and socket. PM your address and I will mail it for your one time use.
John

Darrel Starr
12-11-2008, 09:15 PM
I bought an AMP Rota-Crimp tool on eBay for $75. This is an example of a special use tool that often doesn't resell well on eBay so you may be able to get a bargain. New they are priced in the $500 - 650 neighborhood. They come in two lengths, Aircraft Spruce sells the short handled one. This is a real he man tool that really does the job. I would hate to get my finger caught in it. I used 2 AWG cable from Aircraft Spruce.
Darrel
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/P1040162_cropped.jpg
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/Amp_Data_Page.jpg
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data//500/medium/Aircraft_Spruce_Ad.jpg

Bugs66
12-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I used #2 welding cable for mine. I am running from front seat to starter so went with #2. It was $1.79/ft. As long as you anti-chafe the firewall (grommet or whatever) what else is going to chafe it? I soldered my connector on using the Aeroelectric technique.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/big_term.pdf