• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Peltier Effect Power Source

Roger Peterson

Sweeny, Texas
Solid-State-Generator-on-Cu.jpg

The above is a alternate electical source for a Cub using two thermoelectric (Peltier) modules. This prototype produced more than enough power to keep a battery charged for a radio and a GPS. Just built it to prove it would work for a plane. Should be able to redesign and move it inside the cowl and make the package lot smaller. Just something to get your mind off Chili

Just thought I would toss it out there and see if any one wanted to run with it. I've done enough of those projects, and at 70, I am just trying to rid Canada of fish and build planes.

Interesting approach. I'd bet that'll get the pre-flight newbie going.... :)

When I had a 90 hp J-3, I secured a small photovoltaic panel inside the skylight. That was more than enough to run a King KY 96 radio (no decent handhelds back then) off a small motorcycle battery.

Like yours, no moving parts, and kept simple.

I just used Adel clamps for the attachment.

MTV

The main thing is to keep thinking and doing something. This makes a great forum for kicking things around.

The heck with the cub (for a change) I want one on my stove pipe in Alaska.

I had always imagined a thermopile in the stove to run a light bulb.

That may not sound like a lot, but it wold be a real bonus.

I'll follow the suggested source site. Thanks!

GR

I just picked up a bunch of 12 fans that you just sit on top of the wood stove to circulate the heat. Sure could put a light bulb on to of the fan.

Roger,

I too have fans. They work and work well, but I don't think they have the juice of your system. I have considered hooking up LEDs and disconnecting the fan. The TCs on my fan have a fairly small contact surface. What kind do you have??

I'll go on line since this is kinda going off thread.

GR

Good job, Roger.

I like your philosophy: "The main thing is to keep thinking and doing something. This makes a great forum for kicking things around."

When I get my electric car prototype finished, I will let you know.

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Interesting approach. I'd bet that'll get the pre-flight newbie going....

When I had a 90 hp J-3, I secured a small photovoltaic panel inside the skylight. That was more than enough to run a King KY 96 radio (no decent handhelds back then) off a small motorcycle battery.

Like yours, no moving parts, and kept simple.

I just used Adel clamps for the attachment.

MTV

Mike: Just finishing up a 90 hp J-3 (90% done, 90% to go) and am looking for something to power Garmin 496 and handheld. Do you think your photovoltaic panel would do that thru a dark grey skylight?

Pat

Back