• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil pressure/Oil Temp combo gauges

Jim Miller

Normandy TN
I am starting to cut holes for instruments and am considering using a 3 1/8 double oiltemp/pressure gauge. Are these available from multiple scources or is Wag-aero the only place to buy? I would be more inclined to go this route if they are readily available and not subject to becomming unavailable in future.

Thanks
Jim Miller

I am building a experimental cub with a battery for starting but no charging system. I may add later but want to insure I can keep my empty weight low for light sport class.

Thanks
Jim Miller

Mark Wiggs at Univair tells me that there are gauges made in China and gauges made in the US.

The US gauges are repairable. I have not found any company that can repair the China gauges. I have noticed a much higher rate of failure of the China gauges.

Anyone else notice any difference between these gauges?

Vickie

I asked a similar question a while back and one of the replies to my post said that the white-faced Wag Aero/Chinese versions of original Cub gauges are not necessarily plug and play. Seems the connectors on the back of the Chinese gauges may not be compatible with the hardware on the existing line(s) coming thru the firewall and that there is no easy fix if they don't match up. Just hearsay -- I have no tangible proof -- but it made enough sense that I didn't buy 'em.

No longer hearsay.. I personally encountered the same problem. They will not fit, and there is no easy fix. They look good, and do fit the hole in the instrument panel. I cannot believe they are still selling them.

Dangit,....early this fall I finally got tired of watching the oil pressure needle bounce and ordered a new combination gauge from Wag Aero. I figured I would just do that rather than have the old one refurbished. First one they sent already showed 5 pounds of oil pressure on it !!!! Somehow,...that just didn't seem right to me :eek: My IA said it wasn't going to be acceptable either. I called Wag Aero, and they checked 5 other gauges and none other had the free 5 pounds of oil pressure, so they replaced it.

I haven't gotten around to getting it changed out and just read the box,...and it has "Made in China" on it !!!! I don't think I want to put it in there.

My old gauge works, the pressure needle just bug me. It has "U.S. Gauge" printed on the bottom of the face, and for all I know, is probably the original gauge. Is it worth sending in to be refurbished?, or is there a similar gauge (not made in China) that I should order?

Jim

I have been getting the gauges repaired by Air Parts of Lockhaven 1-800-443-3117. The last gauge cost me $175 for the overhaul plus $145 for the capillary for a total of $320. Shipping to and from Alaska added another $70. I have not found a source for the US gauges and would be interested in purchasing a used gauge to have on hand as an exchange unit.

Vickie

Are you saying the Aircraft Spruce version I linked earlier is imported from China? I don't recall that being the case when I bought mine. I remember it being identical to Univair's #U450-681, which is still a current number as well.

Stewart

Bump. My recently repaired US Gauge temp portion just failed. My original gauge in a different Cub I got used in 1963 and it has never missed a beat. It no longer glows in the dark, but is otherwise superb.

What is the current availability on these fine US made gauges? Used only?

I seem to recall both Univair & Wag sold those old-school type combo gauges, but who knows on where made or quality.

Are you saying the Aircraft Spruce version I linked earlier is imported from China? I don't recall that being the case when I bought mine. I remember it being identical to Univair's #U450-681, which is still a current number as well.

Stewart

It was. Failed at less than 500 hours. I put an EI one in but did find an original Piper one and had it overhauled. In to it about twice of EI gage. Stoddards has a bunch of Chinese ones on the used parts shelves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eddie, My Supercub gauge just crapped out!!
Would you still have the gauge pictured.. If so I would be glad to pay you what ever is fair.

Steve

That's generous and what the site is all about. I gave a guy a damaged PA-12 aileron because I had it, and did't need it. Why not?

Great to see!

There was a guy on Facebook yesterday selling one. Maybe the Taildragger forum or maybe the airplane parts swap

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I'm looking for a combo ail temp oil pressure gauge like the ones above............does anyone know of a current source other then Wag Aero. Thanks

I have a overhauled one from keystone but it has a cream face if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 7231BBEA-E812-4964-95DD-1193A44DF067.jpeg
    7231BBEA-E812-4964-95DD-1193A44DF067.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 141
I love original instruments. (hate glass instrument panels)

If you get one like Eddie is holding send it to John Wolf Instruments and it will come back with a clean face and new capillary tube, brass nut which gets chewed up over the year and new (or restored) probe. And mine worked beautifully.

Texmex.

PIPER J5.5 I sent you a PM. let me know if you want those Monarch caps. Cheers.

I love original instruments. (hate glass instrument panels)

If you get one like Eddie is holding send it to John Wolf Instruments and it will come back with a clean face and new capillary tube, brass nut which gets chewed up over the year and new (or restored) probe. And mine worked beautifully.

Texmex.

PIPER J5.5 I sent you a PM. let me know if you want those Monarch caps. Cheers.

How much?

How much?

I can't remember exactly, but at the time I thought it was very resonable. Maybe low to mid 200-rds.

I was very happy with the form and function.

Or do you mean the 4 Monarch caps? Free to a good home (postage within the States). PIPER J5.5 put his name on them first but I'm yet to hear back from him.

Back