• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Question on Smith/TCOW Brakes.

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
The Smith Cub I put Wayne Mackey's slats on has been upgraded to 31" Bushwheels and double puck Grove brakes since it got back to Mexico. It has the Matco lay down master cylinders with a reservoir. I wondered if anyone else has had any issues with this set up. Luisa says the brakes are not as effective as they were when she was on 8.50 tires and single puck brakes.

Steve

When I upgraded from 26" Goodyears to 31" ABW I had to also go with Robbies double puck setup. They work great. Only problem we encountered was in bleeding them. Since they lay down it was necessary to level the airplane to get all the air out. We used a pressure bleeder ( 8psi) and it was still difficult.

I suggest you give Robbie Grove a call as he is familiar with the setup of high nose angle and Matco lay down cylinders, which by the way, he says are less than ideal.

Mine are working fine and have a hard pedal.

Sorry I will miss you and Lee in Reklaw.

Lou

I've only got 29" Bushwheels on mine and the first winter they were fine. Last fall I had very little brakes and could not get them bleed properly. Someone on here (sorry bad memory but it was much appreciated) said that they had to unbolt their mastercylinders and tip them to get all the air out. I lifted the tail and secured it as high as I dared and it only took one try and I had good brakes after.
Ron

Back