• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sling seats

LloydFrye

Baton Rouge Louisiana
I'm sure there have been planes with sling seats before (as in the rear of the carbon cub). Does anyone have experience with the seat's comfort level for flights longer than an hour?

Depends on whether you have a bad back or not....my back HATES sling seats of all flavors.

There is virtually no lumbar support with a sling seat.

But, if you have an iron butt and a strong back, they keep you from sitting on the floor.... :lol:

MTV

Sling seats are pretty hard on your back and pelvis. Go to sitincomfort.com and check out the Obus-Forme line of orthopedic seat backs and cushions. I have two sets in my 12 and they make all the difference in the world. I can sit in the thing for three hours at a time without hot spots, cramps or numbness in my legs. The cushions correctly shaped for proper posture, are rigid, well-made, adaptable and look pretty good. They also are much, much cheaper than OA products.

sling seats

I emailed CC about the sling seat, asking if there was another option. Must have been a young salesman, and certainly not one with back problems. The seat felt fine to him. No other option offered.

All the Short Wing Pipers have a sling seat for the rear seat. It has a cushion for the back and another from the bottom. I can't tell any difference in comfort. You can cut lumbar support into the cushion.

J-3s have had sling seats since the beginning. They have a recurrent AD, but it isn't a big deal. I suspect Oregon Aero can make a sling seat feel like a $1000 set of cushions.

The back seat of the old Stinson was a sling, and I swear I have never sat in a more comfortable seat anywhere.

While it's true that J3's and many other Pipers have sling seats, they are not really the same as the one in the CC Sport Cub. Not to say one is better or worse, but different. I have spent a few hours in the back seat of a friends Sport Cub, an hour at a time. I am 62 years old and 5'9" and about 190 lbs. I found it comfortable for that period of time. In other words, felt the same when I got out as when I got in.

CC's implementation allows the rear seat to be removed quickly to allow for a large cargo area. My opinion is the rear seat in my Legend is more comfortable, but not as flexible, since it is the traditional set up with a canvass sling supported in 3 places with cushions on top. Life is a bunch of trade offs. Although I have not spent more than an hour at a time in the rear seat of the Sport Cub, I think I could have lasted longer.

You should try it.

Rich

Come on Lloyd, lets make it 3 super cubs at the airport!! :D

Lance

Back