• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub parts/ fuselage

jtuttle

Palmer Ak
Hi there everyone. I was hoping to get a little info. I have been renting 172's for the past cpl of years from the airforce. ( i am a coastie) and last winter decided to buy a plane. I got a citabria 7ECA. Dont get me wrong I have always wanted and still believe that a cub is the only aircraft that I will every want and be happy with. But on my pay and finding out I was going to be a dad the same week I bought the citabria I cannot swing it right now. So I have decided to start piecing a cub together. I found a fuselage on aircraft spruce web page for 12k. Brand new. there supplier is up here in ak. Does anyone know who it is? Aircraft spruce wont tell me who it is. What goes into the stc for the 2000lbs gross weight.

Oh and most important of all. Do all you guys know how jealous I (and other non cub drivers) get when I am flying out to the knik or up in the talkeetnas looking for bears and sheep and see a cub landing in a spot I couldn't hope to get out of. Just thought you should know. Someday i will be one of the cool guys.
anyway any help would be really appreciated
Jefff tuttle. you can e-mail me directly at jtnkodiak@yahoo.com
keep it low and slow

I beleive F.A. Dodge is a univair distributor. Stoddards as well. They have 18 fuselages for around 12,000 as well. Alaska airframes was bought out by someone in anchorage i beleive. They were well regarded in pa-18 fuselages. http://www.airframesalaska.com/

hey thanks a lot for the info. I have been looking at wrecked cubs and I think I am going to just go with new everything. I have 10 years until I can retire, so I figure that will be my retirement gift.

Welcome and good luck. The alaskan contingent of supercub.org is a very knowledgable group. Crash and T.J. hinkle plus others should be able to steer you right. I bet if you pm those guys, they know where the best people to deal with are. Dave calkins a member here does lot's of cub building too. Way too many in alaska to even think of this early. You are in the right place to find parts.

Jtutle,
Welcome aboard! The manufacturer is a company called Airframes Alaska.

An excerpt from their website....

Formerly Northern Piper Aviation Inc.. We purchased the Super Cub and Taylorcraft parts lines from Airframes Inc. and merged the parts manufacturing with Northern Piper and briefly changed the name to Northern Airframes LLC, and finally decided upon Airframes Alaska.

http://www.airframesalaska.com/

It is my understanding that they not only acquired the equipment and fixtures from Airframes Inc. but also was able to hire the same welders who had been making the fuselages for years. So pretty much the same product. I bought a seat kit from them and it was top notch. There are several builders on the site. Just be sure to plan accordingly and review all the legalities (regulations) that are associated with building.

Jeff,
Are you building this as certified or homebuilt? The rules are changing as far as homebuilt goes and if you don't have a data plate I really don't think you can build it certified. Do a search on this site as there has been a lot of discussion on this.
Good luck,
WW

With you in Palmer, you should stop at the Birchwood airport and look at the craftsmanship and facility where they are building the airframes and parts. It is on the NW side of the airport. It is pretty nice. T. Parsons

Yeah i think I will swing by there this week. I haven't decided on certified or home built. I am working on my commercial ticket now aiming toward my CFI for when I retire. But all I really do is hunt and trap. So the only advantage to not being home built would be to do instruction which I don't think I would want to do in my cub .I can always pick up another citabria for that stuff. Really my only care in the world is hunting and trapping.
Thanks for all the help
Jeff

I would seriously consider the experimental way. You will have far less money and most likely end up with a better product in the end both safety and performance wise. The stuff like the 2000lb gross is not worth the extra money unless you are 135 operator, just my opinion. This experimental thing has been argued a bunch vs certified. There is also plenty of fuselages that need alot of work in welding here in alaska or even some experimental fuselages available for less money. Keep it lite keep it simple and it will perform save your money for fuel not mods.

experimental is definitely looking like the way to go. Well again today I was out over near the knik glacier looking for a spot to land, and here came a cub and touched down on a spot I can only dream about.

I cant wait. I just need to keep saving those pennies. I have been tanning bear hides for xtra cash. So I need to tan a couple hundred more black bears and I will have it. No problem

Thanks for the help on everything. If you guys see a grey and white citabria around palmer give me a wave.
Jeff

Before dumping 12K into a fuselage add all of the small parts up before you start.

There are a few kits out there but you are still going to have 100K into it.

The best thing to do is save your $$ and buy a flying plane. Those parts are not worth much until they are all put together into a flying contraption....

Tim

After re reading your initial post it is pretty clear nothing short of a supercub is going to do it for you.
You already have a Citabria, fly the p out of it and start working on that cub.... putting a cub together is not rocket science, you just have to find the drive to do at least something on it every day. Don't build it all at the airport, or hangar if you have a garage. There will be many times when you could afford only 30 minutes to work on a part, and a trip to the field plus prep time and clean up is going to be more than that before you even touch the part
The money end of things is really pretty easy...either you can afford it, or you can't....simple. It's the time building one that is the trick, some folks have it or can make it, and others can't....

Started yet?
Take care,

Before id do anything again, id see what the status of Waynes kit is at Turbine Cubs of Wyoming. Just a personal opinion. doug

I just checked them out. they look pretty good. You know anyone thats got one. I will have to wait awhile. I am an E-5 and my citabria is nickle diming me right now. I need to replace a cylinder here pretty quick.

But the turbine cubs look pretty good.

Back