• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mildew?

bfd777

I just visited a friend who owns a 1977 Super Cub based in a very hot/humid climate. The aircraft is hangared but she is starting to get some patches of what looks like mildew on the fuselage. The fabric (original) looks okay otherwise.

Any suggestions for additional tests or coatings that would prevent further deterioration/discoloration?

The aircraft is white but is mottled with dark spots on the fuselage only.

Thanks in advance. :eek:

You might look inside the wing and open the battery panel and look inside there. Usually it is worse inside on the rough side of the fabric.

Soap and Water will get it out.

Seal up and dehumidify the hangar!

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Thanks Bob.

The outside has been washed and the stains remain. It must be on the inside and stains are bleeding through.

Fabric still seems in good shape. Can he treat it with anything to kill it or keep it from coming back?

Not sure about on aircraft fabric but I have treated boat sails with a fungicide with good results after a washing. The humidifier comment is excellent advise and brings back memories as I have buttoned up many a boat with a flex hose piped inside from a portable dehumidifier...sure can make an old (heavy) boat feel young again.

bfd777 said:
I just visited a friend who owns a 1977 Super Cub based in a very hot/humid climate.

If it has mildew there is a good chance corrosion is going to start eating the fuselage.

I would not spend my time with band-aides and plan on a cover job in the near future.

Mildew is a fact of life in south Louisiana. Every 6 mos or so I spray SD-20 cleaner and LYSOL disinfectant on the mildew and wipe them off. I've been doing this inside and out for 25 years on my hangared Cub and so far it works. Pretty sure you don't have to recover just because you have mildew. If you read the ingredients it will scare you, just don't leave the stuff on too long. SD-20 is from Spartan Chemical in Maumee Ohio. Got it from the local janitorial supply house. Bill

behindpropellers said:
bfd777 said:
I just visited a friend who owns a 1977 Super Cub based in a very hot/humid climate.

If it has mildew there is a good chance corrosion is going to start eating the fuselage.

I would not spend my time with band-aides and plan on a cover job in the near future.

Never seen mildew turn to rust....

OLDCROWE said:
behindpropellers said:
bfd777 said:

Never seen mildew turn to rust....

30 yr old fabric+humid enviroment???

I see mildew as a sign of moisture....not causing rust.....but the moisture causes rust.

....MOLD/MILDEW....

Had a water leak in house...Summer in AZ... no one home... (people say that about me a lot) Some service master like company cleaned it up... about the mold, the worker said they just use a strong mixture of OxY Clean.... that stuff the guy on the TV sells... Says it kills the mold real good.... Don't know what it may do to fabric or how it would react to metal's ....? But it don't hurt the Sheet Rock.!

Ive seen that mold on old cotton fabric, maybe time to upgrade?... :angel: :frog:

Down here in Key Weird, is probably the worst place for humidity and mold, the Ol' Coupe had the mold forming on the old cotton, after just a year, after restoring, no mold. Plus the Waco has been down here for 10+ years, sits ouside most (90%) of the time NO mold, done in Ceconite.

The aircraft has spent most of it's life in cool, dry climate and has no rust yet. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Back