• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hybrid Aeronca with O-200 and Super Cub Wings.

fighter_ace06

Uvalde, TX
Hello my name is Conrad. I built a J-3 about three years ago from the ground up. My new project is a hybrid Aeronca fuselage with Cub wings, and flaps. I am kind of going along the lines of the "Husky Chaser" seen in Sport Aviation. Cheap, light, and simple.

First question: What would the incidence on the horizontal and the wing be relative to the center line? Something along the lines of a Super cub would be about right.[/img]

fighter,
I think John Mulek and Nick Smith (of Smith Cubs) were putting a kit together for just what you're doing. Saw the airplane at SNF this spring. Looks like a good idea. It was planned to be an LSA with Champ cabin space and cub wing performance.
Wilbur

I am using a L-3 fuselage, so it will be around the same size as a cub but it will be lighter. I plan to make the rear seat lay down into a cot or just more baggage. I am with Sierra Industries which does all of the old Robertson STOL kits now. I plan to borrow a few bell cranks so that I can have drooped ailerons along with leading edge cuffs and VG's. It should be pretty cool.

You know what would be cool is a Hybrid J-4.
PA-12 wings will bolt right up, put the flaps in, put an 0-320 in, modify putting in PA-18 gear, PA-18 tail feathers and I bet it would Kick A$$....

I chopped off the old tail from the frame today. I plan on building a new tail, but first I need to order some steel. I am in the market now for an O-200. I have an old GO-300 which I will steal some parts from so all I really need is a Case, Crank, Cam and other little things. If you have anything or know someone that has something please let me know.

Well I found a C-85 12F that I will convert to an O-200. Just a few more parts and it will be complete but not finished. I am still waiting on steel so for the time being I have started designing the wing. The drawing is in my photo album. I designed them around pre-drilled J-3 spars to save money. It will be two rib bays shorter than a regular Cub wing but has a Clark X airfoil with more camber. I am using J-3 ailerons that have a bay chopped off, and the ailerons switched to keep the stock arm positions. I am almost finished with the jig for the ribs. I will have pictures when it is done. The ribs will be wood because I have an abundance of it, and the spars will be aluminum. My question is, because I haven't yet done wood rib aluminum spar, is what is the correct way to mount the ribs to the spar.

Hybrid Champ...

Fighter,
I have been told that the late Great Harold Krier once toyed with the Idea of installing Clipped Taylorcraft Wings on the Champ. He felt that the Champ had the best Fuselage, and the combination of the Taylorcraft wings (Clipped 40 inches from each wing) would yield the best results for budget minded Aerobatics. I have heard this now from two of the pilots that used to ferry Harold's Cub, Krier Craft, Great Lakes and Chipmunk, as well as His brother Larry. I just have to figure how to get financially far enough ahead to take on this project... Good Luck with your endeavor.
Champdriver

Hi Conrad,

I'm just curious what the motivation is to clip the wings? Sound like a pretty interesting project.

Take care, Rob

I always kinda wanted to go the other way - take an L4 fuselage and put Taylorcraft wings on it. As I understand it, Wayne Mackey used to do these things, and reported great success - a Cub that actually went somewhere today.

Isn't the Decathlon sort of a Champ with a Taylorcraft wing? Owning one, I can tell you the Cub is more fun unless we are actually going somewhere or flying upside down. Best of all, outside of the Mooney, the Champ/Decathlon series aircraft are the most underpriced lightplanes out there.

The airfoil that I am using is about an inch thinner than the Clark Y on a regular cub. I also added built in leading edge cuffs for a little more camber. The reason I am clipping the wing is I don't believe I will need all of it. I would like to cruise faster than my cub and the cars below me, and I plan on having an all up empty weight of around 700-800 pounds, so I don't want it to be a kite like a J-3. I am testing an idea with some Radio Control airplane right now about linking the ailerons and flaps. When for example you roll left, the right aileron will travel down and catch the flap on the way making a full wing aileron on right side. This will eliminate the need for differential throws and give a little more aileron authority. just imagine gluing a tab to the top inboard part of the ailerons that would catch the flap as it went down, on a stock Super Cub. It is hard to explain. I will make pictures later.

Thanks for the help

Yes, this will give you more aileron authority...but at the price of more adverse yaw. You wrote that this will eliminate the need of differential throws, but actually there will be more drag on the right wing...

You are right, and I have been thinking about that. I am trying it on a radio controlled airplane first. It may be a problem, or it may be enough to simply correct with a little rudder. We will see.

I think I would put smaller ailerons on that are not connected to the flaps and use a spoiler in conjunction with the smaller ailerons.

Tim

Tim might have the right idea - it is the wing going up that creates the lift and induced drag that must be compensated by the rudder input. A spoiler would counteract the induced drag, and mean less rudder and faster roll response.

I have not had any lack of aileron ever with a stock Cub wing, at any speed. What is nice is flaps that go down to sixty.

Back