• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EXP Engines-Subaru EJ-22 Engine

J5Ron

GONE WEST
Valdez, Alaska
Does anyone know if anyone has put a subaru engine on a cub type experimental. I saw one EJ-22 for sale that claimed approximately 180hp...called the guy and he claims that it seemed to produce more power than a 0-320 that he had on the same plane. Just food for thought...

Ron

Have a Murphy Rebel getting re-engined in the hanger now. Had a Soob on it. Now getting a Lycoming. The dyno sheets on that one said 176 hp. Flew Wifliers Rebel and if the Soob would've still been on the other one we would've gone down and cut it off the airplane. Big factor on the performance is the prop/re-drive combination.

Matt

The Rebel with the Subaru was mine (the one in my Avitar). It could certainly be a viable alternative and there was actually a Wag-Aero sport trainer at Oshkosh this year with an EJ-22 on it. That being said, I wouldn't do it unless the engine package was really cheap. Plus if you are thinking about maximum performance you will need a cockpit adjustable prop for the installation and there aren't many available besides IVO (over $3K) or Sensenich ($10K). Lastly, don't believe the claims about weight since my similarly equipped Rebel was 4 lbs heavier than my Dad's Rebel and if he had been using a lightweight Warp-Drive prop like mine the difference would have been 25 lbs or better.

As Matt said, we didn't get anywhere near the performance from the Subaru compared to the 160HP 0-320 in Dad's Rebel so I'm glad I had already sold my FWF package and started the conversion.

PM me or send me an email at murphypilot@yahoo.com if you want more info and I'll be glad to share my experiences - we did fly it for 180 hours.

James Smith

If you just want to experiment ,fine. Otherwise go with a Lycoming. We have a Maxwell Subaru on a Glassstar that was supposedly dynoed at 210hp. There is no way it is anywhere close to that. Also we've had plug problems. The engine runs very smooth but I don't trust it at all. Gearbox and whirlwind propeller are two areas I don't trust also. Mind you for the price of this installation he could have gone Lycoming with a Hartzell prop and still had money in the bank.Also these engines require constant tinkering to keep them running. Then in the end there is resale value. The Subaru will sell for a LOT less than a Lycoming powered airplane. Don

Isn't it the Subaru that is going on the Legend? Talked to a guy in SBP on Monday, and he was happy. What a gorgeous fabric job - the folks at Legend know what they are doing in the fabric shop.

Bob,
Are you thinking Jabiru? Not Subaru.
Legend offers the 3300 Jabiru.

Keith

Hi folks! First, sorry for my bad English. I`m from Russia. I have experimental Cub equipped with EJ-22 engine. What can i say. We did not have problems with the engine while, but constants problems with reducer (possibly problem in quality of fabrication). Other is a weight and reliability (injector, liquid cooling, etc) - we think Lycoming and Continental More preferably in this question. But price and availability while does by its basic choice in Russia today. And in summary small movie of start of the engine :) http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5iK7ApU1o

Bomber,
Welcome to the site! By the way...your english is MUCH better than my Russian. Especially since I don't know any.:)
I have a wrecked Murphy Rebel that has a Subaru engine. The original builder flew it for over 300 hrs. with zero problems. He really liked the smoothness and the fact he had good heat. The day after he sold it to a flight instructor it was groundlooped and damaged. I think I would not recommend that instructor to anyone for TW signoff.
Keith

I put 1300 trouble free hours on a Soob EA 81 powered Rans S7 Courier, it ran smooth as could be and outperformed a buddies 0-200 powered T cart. But, on my recent/second S7S I went with a Rotax 912s. Its a bit better on fuel and much lighter. My Soob cost $5300.00 13 years ago ready to install. The 912s cost 14k a year and a half ago, now its pushing 20K thanks to the weak dollar

Thank you, Keith! And can you tell me what the reducer you use with EJ-22?

Bomber,
It's a Ross re-drive. The engine is an EA-81 that was built by Formula Power I believe.
Keith

Back