• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pulling a fuel tank

bob turner

Anything to look out for when pulling a stock Super Cub fuel tank while the wing is still on the aircraft? Doesn't look nearly as difficult as that darn Decathlon . . .

Yea cut them you want to put on new hoses anyway and a good time to put seals in your site glasses.

DW

Pull the wing root fairing and fuel tank cover. Cut the fuel lines like previously recommended. I usually have to remove the outlet fittings to get the tank to get around the butt rib. Use a short 3/8" wrench on the nuts holding the fuel tank straps tight. Hopefully you can get the nut off the top of the rod instead of the bottom one coming off. Makes it a little easier. Remove the 3/16" nut and bolt from the tank bay rod at the rear spar. I don't see a need to support the wing. I have removed a lot of Piper fuel tanks and never had a problem with anything moving. Easiest way I have found to remove the tank is to put someone on the front on a ladder and someone on the back. Lift the rear inboard corner of the tank up and start sliding it aft. Check the felt on the tank straps, both ends where the tank rod comes out of the tank and on the ribs on the underside of the tank cover. I have these parts per the Piper drawings if you need them. And you are right, it is a lot easier than any of those American Champion airplanes I have ever had to remove tanks from. :wink:

Thanks Steve - as usual, exactly what I needed. I did two Decathlon tanks; I think it is easier to rebuild the wing from scratch.

I thought of something I forgot. I use a 3/8" drive deep well socket to get the fuel tank fittings out through the wing root. This will fit over the hose barb fitting. Good luck Bob. How come you are having to remove it?

I suspect it has been sloshed, and the slosh is beginning to exfoliate. However, let me hit you with the symptoms, other than the trash coming out of the quick drain:

When the thing gets to about a quarter full, the engine quits. It has happened often enough that the owner takes great pains to not get in a situation where it could cause a forced landing. Happened to me on approach, about 700' agl, so I know it is real. It is the left tank, which theoretically fills the forward header? And it seems to happen either in level flight or in a glide - a clogged forward outlet? Anyway, I recommended an immediate removal and cleaning. Aircraft is fresh out of annual and extensive work - not by me.

bob turner said:
I suspect it has been sloshed, and the slosh is beginning to exfoliate. However, let me hit you with the symptoms, other than the trash coming out of the quick drain:

When the thing gets to about a quarter full, the engine quits. It has happened often enough that the owner takes great pains to not get in a situation where it could cause a forced landing. Happened to me on approach, about 700' agl, so I know it is real. It is the left tank, which theoretically fills the forward header? And it seems to happen either in level flight or in a glide - a clogged forward outlet? Anyway, I recommended an immediate removal and cleaning. Aircraft is fresh out of annual and extensive work - not by me.

Bob-

What about doing a flow test on the system after the tank is out? If its clogged after the tank....

Sloshing compound is probably clogging up the finger screens in the outlets. I'd pull the outlets first and look in the tank real good. I hate when people slosh these things. Pretty much makes later repairs such as welding impossible.

Yeah me too - I sloshed one in the 1970s - wound up retiring it, after pulling out so much ugly goo I couldn't believe it.

And you bet we will be doing flow tests, and maybe replacing some line here and there. I gotta finish some other stuff first . . .

You guys are great!

Back