• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

L-21 windows

hilllaguna

Boise, ID
I only heard of this happening once in a Citabria, but I thought I would ask the question here given the wealth of experience that resides on this board.

What happened in the Citabria was that with the front left opening window in the open position, in a hard slip to landing, the airpressue inside popped the opposite side riear window out.

So I am thinking to myself as I build this L-21 windowed TCOW, that of course allows you to fly with way more open than a single window... what might happen in a steep slip to all that glass in the back? A lot of my flying has been in A/C with no flaps, mostly aerobatic planes, and I fly really tight patterns - and once turning base it is all about slipping it in, not only for altitude reduction w/o an airspeed increase, but in many of them it is the only way to actually see what's what as you approach the numbers. In a Laser it's kinda the MO approach technique. Anyway, any opinions on the issues with significant slip attitudes and all that window area in the back under pressure with the door open? Any observations or opinions are appreciated.

I fly an L18C (L21 with C90 and no flaps). Only way to land real short is in a slip and I have not blown out a window yet. :wink:

I have an L-21A. I almost always fly very tight patterns, usually ending up in a full flap, max deflection slip. Aside from it getting pretty windy when I slip to the right with the door and all the windows open, I've never had a problem. All the windows are still where they belong!

I have sucked the right rear window out of a '77 180 Decathlon I used to own while practicing knife-edge to knife-edge half snap rolls. Twice, actually. The second time it cost me some fabric repair on the tail! We installed a stand-off support between the window and a fuselage tube after that one to keep the window from flexing. Since yours is experimental, you could do that if you're worried. It's easy to do.

Thanks

I kinda assumed this, and I suspected that if there had ever been an issue people here would have heard about it. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Tom - my Decathlon came with those supports, and no log entry. Of course it came with the IAC "hold the engine on" cable, also with no log entry. I had assumed the window brace was part of the aircraft. Thanks for the heads up. My snap roll days are over, but I spend a lot of time in knife edge, practicing hesitation rolls.

The Cub windows will blow out, but not if you keep the right number of sheet metal screws in the fairings. Ask me how I know . . .

Back