• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Old Airfields...

I looked over the ones in Eastern Oklahoma and saw that most had been consumed by re-development (learned a bit more about the area that was my Jr High paper route that was interesting) and or relocation.

One near downtown Tulsa is now in private hands (a pilot by the way) and was closed due to excessive unauthorized activity. Hat Box field at Muskogee is still open but limited a very SHORT cross-wind runway and has mostly been redeveloped into a sports park complex. lastly one really nice facility at fort Gibson lake was closed by the state parks department due to a lack of maintenance funding.

Neat stuff, thanks for the link.

Kirby

Hi Clyde

That's pretty cool.I checked out my area and discovered quite a few that came and went before I started flying.
thanks for posting.

Bill

That's pretty neat in a depressing sort of way. Clyde the old Raleigh Municipal where you hung out is now a development. I like the old DNR airfield in Tomahawk, WI. where the railroad tracks cross the runway.

Boy, now I really feel old. I knew George Edwards and "Speed" Hanzlick from Flushing...actually knew George when he owned Edwards Airport in Bayport, LI. It is now the Bayport Aerodrome purportedly the only municipally owned grass airport in the US. George REALLY did hate Speed and he made sure everybody knew it. He owned an Aeronca C3 on straight floats I don't think it ever got off the water.

I still see Louis Mancuso Sr, founder of Deep Park airport. I spent some time at Zahn's. Many of the trainer J3's from there are now in private hands. They are the ones that have the only thing original on them being the data plate :D

I knew Tom Murphy from Fitzmaurice field. He had a field in Coram that went the way of houses and then moved to Bayport. That old man could fly like a bird. Whether it was a Cub, a Waco or a T6, he made it look like he was flying a J3. He taught in a PA11 and an early PA18 well into his 70's.

It's really sad to see all those places gone.

Richgj3 said:
It is now the Bayport Aerodrome purportedly the only municipally owned grass airport in the US.

Nope. Trinca (13N) is owned by Green Township, New Jersey.

I went to my state on this site and found out that the airport used to be where the GE transformer plant now sits. Of course, the transformer plant is in caretaker status after the EPA shut them down for polluting practically all the rivers in the area with PCBs. GE keeps the plant in caretaker status so they don't have to pay to clean it up. The city would have been much better off if they'd left the airport there.

Back