• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Borescope

tripleoption

KOSH
Hello all,
I'm in a position to add some goodies to the toolbox, and I'm thinking a borescope might be a worthwhile investment. Can anyone here give a good recommendation for some of the models out there?
Thanks much!
Joe

I have been playing with one of these. http://catalog.lenoxinst.com/viewitems/borescopes-rigid-borescopes/rigid-borescopes?__utma=1.644805136360301200.1212377018.1212377018.1212377018.1&__utmb=1.2.10.1212377018&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1212377018.1.1.utmcsr=aviationtoday.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/am/repairstations/483.html&__utmv=-&__utmk=196005804

The other mechanic on the field does general aviation stuff and has all my jacks since I don't mess with many retract stuff anymore. He bought a 15" Lenox rigid borescope and lets me use it. I think it was around $1500 and the 12" was a lttle over $900. Great optics and comes in handy looking inside the engine.

scope

I bought a scope to inspect boilers with and also use it for the airplane. I found a mouse nest with it that could not been seen other than using this scope. Its made by Ridged tools and cost $125.00
I don't think it could get into a spark plug hole, not sure about that. It a color viewing screen and is a camera with flexable probe. Pretty neat for such a low price.

Bill

My Snap-on Tool guy just showed one to me.It would be perfect for aircraft.It has a little camera on a long flexible cable.the camera has a built in lite and it displays on a little color monitor like a camcorder.Resolution was real good.I think the camera was less than 1/2 in dia.About $400.

Bill

http://www.ridgid.com/seesnakemicro/

These things are pretty cool - they're NOT a borescope and won't take the place of one, but they're not $3000.00 either. I got one at Grainger for about $200.00 (?). You can't steer the camera end, but it will hold it's shape fairly well. The end won't fit through a spark plug hole. T'will go under your floor boards with a magnet and recover things you didn't know you'd lost!

Cheers

Ridged

That's the same one I have. You can get another extension for it as well. One thing to be careful of is not to panic when looking deep inside the tubes, wings ect. All the borescopes and this ridged camera will amplify the image so bad the tube inside will look like the craters on the moon. While looking inside a Cessna wing it looked like it had alot of serious corrosion in it, but there is none. After you look through it enough you learn what to look for. Not bad for the money.

Bill

Yea, and really good for looking under the heater shroud to check for exhaust leaks or cracks...

Back