• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carbon Cub or SQ2?

barorg

Wilson, WY
I'm finally getting down to making a decision on which kit to build, and the only two contenders that I'm considering at this point are the Carbon Cub (Cubcrafters) and the SQ2 (TCoW).

In the way of personal background, I'm a steel fabricator, make furniture and architectural details, but I've never built a kit before, so ease of building, support and documentation are key for me.

Does anyone have any input on which of these two fine kits would be a good fit?

Thanks,

Gal Bar-or, Wilson WY

Regardless of the kit you choose, make sure that it fits the current (new?) 51% rule from the FAA. I would contact the EAA and your local FSDO to make sure the kit is currently approved. We all know how one FSDO will look at things differently than another.

Marty57

what do you want to fly?

Here is something that I would want to know if I was going to put all the time into building it. How will it fly!

I have flown the proto-type Carbon Cub, I also flew the Sport Cub recently and they were not the same animal. I liked both but Carbon Cub with O-360 and a 90" prop was to light in the tail even with a steel spacer in the tailwheel. The visibilty is not as good in the SportCub/Carbon Cub as a Supercub both of the airplanes felt Cub like and I liked that about them.

I have not flown Wayne's airplane but would want to if I was going to put all the energy into building one.

Greg

More on CC vs. SQ2...

Price diff? looks like around 65k for the carbon cub kit, and around 55k for the SQ2, but don't know what gotchas might be in that - it's not so much a price thing for me, as the 10k difference could easily be forgotten if I didn't like, or worse yet, could not succeed in building the kit because of missing parts, support or documentation.

Issue for me is although I have over 1200 hours in fast complex aircraft (singles and twins), I have all of 20 hours in taildraggers, and no basis with which to judge differences; I intend to go to MT tomorrow to fly with Wayne and see the a/c, and will report back. Next week, a visit to CubCrafters is in order.

I read on Cub Crafters' website that the new plane will have a 180 hp IO-360 in it...I'll take the 220 hp version, thank you very much. :lol:

Back