• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thoughts on upper baggage door opening

S.E. Alaska
I would like to make an upper baggage door opening about 28" wide. I have tried bending up a door frame but the thing came out way too heavy.

What sort of shape and method of attachment to longerons and stringers have people used to make the larger door opening?.

Howard Shepherd said:
I would like to make an upper baggage door opening about 28" wide. I have tried bending up a door frame but the thing came out way too heavy.

Heavy?? What material are you useing?? I used round tubing for the turtle deck and longerons. This allowed me to omit the center tube in the door opening. The just bent the frame out of thin Guage 4130 sheet. Not that heavy at all..

Scott..

Here is the upper baggage door on my Super Cub, N18SY. It is not as large as the one you are considering but the idea might apply. The "face" plate is riveted to channels that surround the stringers and 3/8 channels. The finished frame is riveted to the stringers and channels with stainless pop rivets. The assembly is very similar to the Cubcrafters lower door also shown in the photo. ' hope this is an idea you can use.
Darrel
P8310014.JPG

P2170003.JPG

P2170005.JPG

First I clamped straight edges to represent the finish fabric then cut up Piper Channel and created a frame using squares to keep things square.I attatched to the turtle deck risers using spacers to get the correct angle. The tab to the right is for my metal headliner. I fabed everthing inplace with using an air gun to keep the finish paint from getting destroyed after mig welding. Used the adjustable type fastener, the kind that you rotate until tight and pull the plastic keeper to set. I used a 032 for for the door with a small angle riveted to it to keep it straight. I will take some shots of that to post. The whole assy is very light.

DSC02089.JPG
[/url]

Thanks for the photos. They were very helpful. As soon as I get this door figured out I'll be ready to sand blast and paint the airframe.

Howard Shepherd said:
Thanks........................As soon as I get this door figured out I'll be ready to sand blast and paint the airframe.

sidetrack.......
Oh, I always sand blast first before mods & repairs :D (and touch up afterwards)

because.... its a very very sad day when it returns from sand blaster after all your work and find out all the bottom tubes or such were corroding through from inside out....
was a very sad day in the spring of 1993........had to replace everything!! from gear fittings back on the bottom!

And you are pretty much committed after all that initial work..... so now first it goes to sand blaster and see how much comes back :)

Is anyone aware of a PA14 STC that would cover an upper baggage compartment of similar station to station and a large door?

Is anyone aware of a PA14 STC that would cover an upper baggage compartment of similar station to station and a large door?

adding a baggage area is minor. (use ADLE CLAMPS, do NOT WELD TABS)

adding a door is minor .

both log entries..

bigger door minor, if no gross weight increase.

if gross weight increase tubes added(crosswinds STC) then field approval on larger 2 bay door, which I have gotten...

adding a baggage area is minor. (use ADLE CLAMPS, do NOT WELD TABS)

adding a door is minor .

both log entries..

bigger door minor, if no gross weight increase.

if gross weight increase tubes added(crosswinds STC) then field approval on larger 2 bay door, which I have gotten...

Why ADELS and not tabs? Is this experience from the school of hard knocks talking? Educate us please!

Back