• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Advice please, which ELT to install

iamcamper

Hillsboro Oregon
Hello again folks,
My TCOW project is coming along slow but sure and I'm hoping to be covering in a few months. I'd like to pre-fit the ELT before hand though and am starting to do my home work on which one to install. Anybody have any ideas which ones are good and which ones to stay away from???
Thanks much
T

Seems (to me) that the jury is still out...
Hold off 'till the last minute to decide, they're getting cheaper too.

If I were buying a new ELT, it would be an Artex 406. Unfortunately, those still cost just under $1000. As Nimpo says, they may come down in price, but I doubt that's going to happen fast. There is very little competition in that market at the moment, which is too bad.

The 121.5 beacons are going to be all but useless by next year, though (at least at the moment) they will still meet certification standards. That is simply one ugly accident away from a mandatory change, though, in my estimation.

MTV

I understand the Kannad got their FAA approval about 6 months ago. The GPS interface is quite expensive - $2500 or so.

Artex is planning a GPS interface for the ME406 this fall for ~$600.

Jack

This link should get to their 406 beacon; http://www.kannad.com/en/safety/index.php?id=51
It is qualified to TSO C126.
We can get them in New Zealand from this lot: http://www.avionics.co.nz/
was on the title page last time I looked.
From what I've been told this is the one to have if you don't have or don't want to use your electrical system. The Artex one needs to be connected to the aircraft power supply. My mate has just bought a Kannad for his Tiger Moth, and this was why. My Super Cub is non-electric for the time being, so I might have to choose this one too, but want to hold off until mandated in the US, then price will come down.
Pointer only just coming out with theirs, ACK don't have one yet, but hear they may have a conversion for their E-01. Ameri-king also no 406 ELT yet.
I'm only interested in legal compliance, only fly over paddocks so not worried about GPS interface etc.
So still interested to hear what others think.

Cheers,
Andrew

Snip/pasted from Rob's link:

triple (406 Satellite /243 Military /121.5 Civilian) MHz frequencies.
Position accuracy of the 406 MHz satellite signal is about 110 meters
AMERI-KING AK-451 PLB 406 MHZ $534.95

Things are looking better all the time.

The PLB is the "portable locator beacon" or is it "personal locator beacon". There are a number available and they are quite reasonably priced as any well equipped tramper has one, not to mention the boaties. They fullfill the requirement in New Zealand for microlights (up to 1200 lbs), but not "proper" planes. Though you can use one for 7 days if your fixed 406 ELT is inop.

At least if Ameri-king are in the PLB market, hopefully the fixed TSO'd 406 ELT isn't far behind. Would help us a lot if 406 ELT's mandated in the US. Production up = cost down.

Cheers,
Andrew.

ARTEX ME 406

The ARTEX ME 406 does NOT need to be connected to the aircraft power supply. I have had one in my non-electric J-5 for a year with no problems. Whether they are required or not, they make sense to me as a practical safety device well worth the price. Remember the Christmas Eve LearJet lost for three years in New Hampshire, and it was only 23 miles from the airport? Unless you always fly in radar contact (why own a cub?), there really should be no question about this.

Artex 406 is my choice....Talked to the folks @ the Trade Show, sounds like the best bet. ANYTHING from Ameri-King, I would'nt recommend it. Had an issue with my ELT awhile back and the "foreigner" who I dealt with would not send it back till I signed a release stating I would not have any radio shop fix it. Took me 2 months to get it back, i about went Postal!!!!!

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the info. Looks like I may for-go the ELT for a while until the prices (hopefully) come down some. I''ll continue my build with the idea of relative easy access to run the wiring later on.
Thanks.
Ted

Annual time and I am going to put in a 406 ELT. Looks like the Artex ME406 is the best option. But I have some questions:

1. Does this satisfy the Canada and Mexico requirements?
2. Where's the best place to mount this in a Super Cub? I would rather avoid the remote panel if possible since that will require more work.

Thanks for the advice. Buying one of these seems like a clean kill to me.

The current 406 ELTs don't have the GPS data linked to them- unless you cough up an additional $2,000 or so.

For me, I'm going to wait until the GPS link is part of the ELT. It is ridiculous to think it is not an integral part of the ELT- they certainly are a part of the EPIRBs and PLBs you can buy for $700.

The 121.5 will NOT be useless. The C-130s, coast guard helicopters, search and rescue helicopters and fixed wings and fellow pilots will still listen/hear 121.5.

I'm going to keep my 121.5 until the hardware and politicians catch up. In the meantime I'll carry a cell phone and sat phone. The sat phone is an outstanding piece of equipment. It can remove a lot of anxiety over weather and worried spouses.

The Gov'ment probably has their sights set on ADS-B. With this black box installed in every cub, the Gov. will know where you are, where you've been, and might even know where you're going! If you don't show up at a destination, all they have to do is click a few times with a mouse in Virginia and Voilas, there you are. They might even be able to help the tax man out in assessing landing fees, carbon taxes, and airspace usage! ADS-B will obviate the need for ELT.

Think I am paranoid? They are already using ADS-B technology in the marine industry to track vessels and enforce fines....

Bill

iamcamper said:
I''ll continue my build with the idea of relative easy access to run the wiring later on.

Thanks for that reminder, Ted.

I'm in the wiring phase right now, and should prewire for my GPS-ELT when I can afford it. Can someone tell me what I need to do, or where to look?

Thanks for that too. :)

Back