• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Distance between front and rear float fittings

KelvinG

Talkeetna, AK
Does anyone have a rough distance between the front gear leg fitting and the rear float fitting? On my Tundra Boss the distance between fittings seemed a little tight.

Now that I am beefing up the fuselage it seems like a good time to move the rear fitting, (if I need to).

Thanks,
KelvinG

Kelvin

I will be happy to measure it when I get back home but in the meantime I am pretty sure the info is here on this website somewhere. I know it has been discussed and I think it was Crash that posted the figure.
Search away... :crazyeyes:

Bill

Bill,
I did that already, (kind of SOP for me, lot of good info been posted on this site over the years) I got a ton of pages of hits on "Floats" so I narrowed it down to "Float fittings" which gave me about 30 hits. Didn't spot what I was looking for there.

Should I be using different search terms? Anyway, after coming up blank I posted my question.

Thanks for the offer to measure yours, I am in no hurry so whatever is convenient for you works great for me!

Take care,
KelvinG

Kelvin,

Doesn't the rear fitting have only one place to go? At the rear tubing cluster where the vertical comes down to the longeron?

On a PA-18 the front float strut is mounted to the normal front landing gear fitting. The rear strut mounts to the fuselage "float" fitting.

There is 42.5" between the two fittings measured center to center.

Crash

Rear float fitting

Crash has it right, although the EDO installation drawings for 89-2000 floats on a PA18 shows the center line for their 'saddle' to be 45" in back of the leading edge of the wing. (An odd way to put it). The point is that it's the fuselage cluster where this fitting goes, including weld on brackets. Where some people have beefed up the structure, is the lower longeron, between the fore and aft fittings.

Kelvin

Sorry I was not more help, and I should have known you knew about searching. This is the thread I was referring to

http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5931&highlight=float+rear+weld

I will still give a measurement from a Smith Kit when I get home Wed evening. There are some pictures on this thread on making the rear pulley brackets flush. It cleans things up a bit when you are not on floats.

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4309&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

Best of luck. I am very interested in following your progress. I think you and your buddy there have the only two Tundra Cub kits out there. Is that correct?

Bill

Let me start this off with the declaimer that everything I say is from a position of total ignorance! I've never been on floats.

On the drawing all the green tubes are new or beefed up and the red are removed. As you can see there are a fair number of changes. One thing I liked was the changes in the cargo door frame. I know in the old PA-14 conversions, the door went all the way to the lower longeron and without the extra support sometimes on a hard landing the fuselage would flex and the door would pop open.

The distance between fittings measure 38", just eyeballing it, that seemed a little close to me. With the tubing changes, the spot where I was thinking of putting the float fittings has more support, (larger cluster) than the existing float fitting location. But that would make the distance between fittings close to 60". Either way I go I will need to build custom float struts.

Assuming the lift struts fit either location I'm not sure what, (if any) difference that spacing would make.

Bill,
I know of three, the one I have and two in Anchorage, AK.

Sht_20_Mechanical_-_Instrument_Panel_Final.jpg

Back