• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tailpost

jimboflying

I am wondering if the tailpost bottom should be closed or left open for drainage? If left open would it encourage grime to form inside of it. The plane will probably be on floats someday.

Seal it. The only bottom longerons I have seen that were rusted inside the tubing had vent holes. All the rest rotted from the outside. Cut a dent out of my Super cub bottom longeron yesterday. 1951 and the inside of that tube was like new. My 1949 Clipper was the same way with oil still on the tubing inside.

This is a little off the subject, but ...several years ago when we were working on the fuselage weldment of N18SY, I talked to Roger Borer. His advice was:

1. Before installing the tail fin, push a smaller (just fitting) tube into the tail post and tamp it down so the top of the tube insert was just below the point where the tail fin tube would be. So I did that.
2. Weld fittings on and pump the longerons full of Rustoleum, drain it out then plug the fittings. Since, like Steve's experience, my longerons were shiney & rust free inside, we did not try the Rustoleum coating. Also N18SY is going to live in a heated hangar and rarely see any accumulating moisture.

Darrel

Back