• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need a Pirep

JayH

NE Iowa
Anybody flying a TruTrak ADI? I will have no vacuum system in my Smith Cub and this looks like a decent compromise for a horizon. Thousand bucks cheaper than a Dynon which I wouldn't use half the stuff anyway. Curious about quality, any problems, and response. Does it lag or react to the unusual attitude of a cub? Any Pirep would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

I have one in my Smith Cub. Will fly in the next few months. Some have been put in Legend Cubs and the owners love them.

I can report in a few weeks.

Call Tru Trak and talk to Jim Younkin, the inventor of many autopilot items over the years. Jim is very honest and frank.

Jay,

I've got one and it's GREAT. Bank angle and pitch is instantaneous/no lag.
It's a Turn Coordinator, VSI and AH all in one. It's light as hell and I have had no troubles with mine. What I found amazing is if you're ascending or descending so much as a foot or two, that's what it's indicating.
I give it two :up 's up. Coupled to my 296 for a heading reading, it's the one true instrument that gives you everything you need when the chips are down.

Brad

Great!! That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks Brad. J3 give a report when you have one.

Jay

I've had one in my cub for a year now. I am totally happy with it. I have it plumbed into my Garmin Pilot III so I have a readout on my magnetic heading which is nice to have.

If I don't let the horizon settle down prior to takeoff, it can tilted 30 degrees off. After a few minutes it somehow readjusts to the horizon. I would not use it taking off into fog! I have it strictly as a backup- and I used it one time when I needed it (shame on me!). With a little luck that won't happen again!

I think it is a great little, light instrument.

Back